Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 Ford Ranchero

19 minutes ago, Atmobil said:

Yet another Coke kit?
Sure, why not. I bought the Ohio George kit and if the Coke version is the same with a Coke decal sheet it is not to bad. Is there a dolly with bottle cases I see in the background?

I hope it comes with a few extra's. I will purchase one. 

If it makes the company money they will keep doing it.

17 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Don't know about the dolly/cases, but it is coming with that "ice chest" style Coke cooler that's under the window just to the left of the dolly.

gonna need this one then.  I have a 1:1 Westinghouse cooler in my backyard.  I guess I could build a model of my friend's ranchero with the kit.  

On 1/27/2020 at 5:42 PM, niteowl7710 said:

Don't know about the dolly/cases, but it is coming with that "ice chest" style Coke cooler that's under the window just to the left of the dolly.

After viewing Chris'/hpiguy's YouTube review of the AMT '77 Ford Van, I'm now wondering if Round2'll include the two coke bottle crates and a die-cast dollies, too. Guess we'll see when the kit arrives.

The 13" wheels (which were newly created in the previous Ohio George verion) and tires are really nice, and save for early '60s era original AMT kits, about the only good source for '60s vintage 13" steel wheels and tires.

16 hours ago, alexis said:

That Cooler alone, will sell me the kit. I've resisted the upright Coke Machines. I cannot resist that Icechest Cooler.

Not sure I can resist that cooler either.  Especially if we get the dolly and crates too.

Or...here we go again!  When R2 released the "Ohio George" '60 Ranchero, I had several of the previous issue '61 Rancheros in the stash.  Sold all but 1 of those on eBay to make room for some of the newer kits, with the '60 grille and new decals.  Not sure I want to get rid of those, so I may have to do some re-arranging.  I can use one to restore a glue-bomb original '61 Ranchero, which came with that goofy camper top.

As for Coke machines...some years ago in a dollar store, I found some Coke machine refrigerator magnets.  They look like 1/25 scale or very close to it.  But with all these Round 2 machines coming out, I may retire those. Or build them as junked/rat-rod Coke machines. ?

• 3 months later...

C1A1D8E9-8FE8-4E45-BB46-F1AF19C053C9.jpeg.afdb8789f4da9672d78bc9b709b6801f.jpeg

I’ve had my 1960 Ranchero for 20 years! 
Every time I’d post it someone would correct me that the kit was a 61!  Um no, this one is a 60. 

Before the 61 was even reissued since early 1970s, I had bought a junker bag containing two trashed Rancheros and a totaled and warped 1960 Falcon sedan missing its roof.  I used the grille / bumper unit on this Ranchero! 

16 hours ago, alexis said:

A question about this kit.  What kit would have a stock engine that would replace the 454 that is in the kit now?

Now that Kitchen Table Resins has ceased production, that's going to be a challenging task. I don't recall any kits which included the 144-ci inline Ford six cylinder.

Here's what KTR offered, for reference:

144_200_6-vi.jpg.16929292f00d7b093d08820887826708.jpg

Missing Link Resin makes a nice 170 Ford 6 cyl (144 and 170 are of the same engine family), there is one on eBay now.  I've bought a couple of these to use in '60s Fords.   Model Car World Resin makes one also.

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Thanks for the help, guys.

I suppose the 312 V-8 from an AMT '57 Ford is not a good choice?

Maybe for a hot rod/street machine build.  The '60 Ranchero was 6 cyl only---the Falcon and Ranchero didn't get a V8 option until '63, w/ the 260.  So any 289 (like in the AMT '66 Mustang) would work to do a non-stock V8 version..

1 hour ago, alexis said:

I suppose the 312 V-8 from an AMT '57 Ford is not a good choice?

In real life it probably wouldn't fit very well .Keep in mind that the 260/289/302 Windsor is one of the narrowest V8s built, and even then it's a tight fit in between those shock towers. It looks like the Y-block is about five wider.

While we're on the subject, bear in mind also that when Ford installed the V8 in the Falcon and Ranchero they also went to five bolt wheels, beefed up the unibody, front suspension, brakes, and rear end. All of which may or may not affect anyone's build, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

5 minutes ago, RancheroSteve said:

In real life it probably wouldn't fit very well .Keep in mind that the 260/289/302 Windsor is one of the narrowest V8s built, and even then it's a tight fit in between those shock towers. It looks like the Y-block is about five wider.

While we're on the subject, bear in mind also that when Ford installed the V8 in the Falcon and Ranchero they also went to five bolt wheels, beefed up the unibody, front suspension, brakes, and rear end. All of which may or may not affect anyone's build, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

IIRC, the suspension and rear axle are molded in on this 60 yr old tooling, so it would be a moot point.  Never made sense why AMT put a Chevy big block in this kit at some point. 

Edited by Rob Hall

28 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

IIRC, the suspension and rear axle are molded in on this 60 yr old tooling, so it would be a moot point.

Yes, there's that - and a few other inaccuracies with this kit, but I thought I'd just point out the real world car facts for those that might be interested.

On 12/8/2013 at 9:57 PM, Don Sikora II said:

AMT added the engine, opened the hood, and revised the chassis at some point in the 1970s.

Looks like it was in 1977, when kit T-240 was released:

AMT1977Catalog14-vi.jpg.a80dbd3c94a783ca1657c0c448682bc6.jpg

AMTT240.jpg.625e8563848a9dba9b6601d9a947a326.jpg

s-l1600.jpg.9ed2e3cf961ea94b34ade25bfac4fe58.jpg

Good thing those intertwined, multi-colored flame decals are gone for good. ?

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Steve my brother has a 60 in my dads barn. there is a 351 Cleveland sitting in it with only the motor mounts bolted for decades. He has the headers that are multi piece to fit, if they will.  That is a tight fit. I hope he lives long enough to get it going.  it has been under cover in the barn since 75. At this point it would  make a better drag car than anything else.