Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 Ford Ranchero

Great! Be nice if those 'custom parts' included the sedan delivery parts... Would also love to see a re-issue of the keystone klassics to replace those goofball three spoke wheels in all the later releases of the Falcon.

mike

hope the "potent 8 cylinder motor" isn't the thing that's been the recent reissues! Looking forward to this anyway...

I bet it is...wasn't that engine a BBC? IIRC the previous issues didn't have much engine compartment detail either..probably best to glue the hood shut or scrounge up a 6 cyl.

Yes agreed, a straight six would have been nice, but unless you're willing to put in a whole lot of effort, just glue the hood shut. In addition to the motor, the engine compartment lacks shock towers and just about everything else. For those with ambition, the AMT '67 Mustang is probably the closest donor for most of that stuff.

Well, Why did it not take!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I want this one too, even though I have two Early Pre-butchered issues.

One an Original Styline, and the other a 'Desert Race/Rally' series "El Ranchero Grande"

issue!!

Neither had an open hood Or engine!

But, Why do they need to put in only a 6? Why not a 4 Cylinder?

These Were Compacts after all weren't they??

Didn't they come Standard with a 4??

And, Sedan Delivery??

I don't remember a Body like that.

Or do you mean the Bed Cap often called a "Camper" top??"

Hope this one Posts!!!

Dan, uh Ford never offered the four cylinder , used the 170 and a optional 200 six , both with solid lifters . Further , Falcon rancheros never got a v- 8 until about 1965. Even then, it was the 289 and that was a regular performance version . Several front end revisions were made at Ford to have the addition available . Namely, heavier springs ............

144, six in 1960 .

144 or 170 in 1961

The Falcon got it's first V8 in 1962 , 221 or a 260 while also having the 144 and 170 .

260, 289 V8 then 144,170,200 six 1963.

260,289 V8 then 170,200 six 1964.

These are Falcon engines but the Rancheros was close but had the bigger engine most of the time.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

ranchero_front-vi.jpg

rancheros_rear-vi.jpg

Here's a couple of Rancheros. They mention 'custom parts' in the new release. In the last issue they had the roof treatment, but not the front or rear custom extensions you see on my purple one here. Nor have we seen the custom camper piece, although I believe that was in a later release but not the most recent ones. Maybe they could open up a few gates on the tool and find these.

The differences going from the first issues, were that the early Craftsman and Customizing Series trucks were curbsides. The chassis had the engine detail on the underside, and only had a single exhaust. Later on, they opened the hood and added the CBB engine that last was seen in the '66 full size Chevy kit. They modified the chassis and added dual exhausts. Another change is that my primer gray vehicle above has the original 2 piece tail lights. That was a chrome bezel with a clear red lens. The original kit also had a few extra custom clear red lenses. It would be cool to find all those parts in the new release.

For most of us, we'll buy a new one just to see the new '60 grille.

The purple car is an old custom in my collection that was built by someone in the day. The primer gray car is one I built from a broken old built up.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Thanks for the info. Surprised they did not have a 4 in those Compacts back then

The Chevy ll had a 4 as well but no Fords did.

After a quick search I scared up a pic of an original issue Falcon...

61falconamt_zps57b95e75.jpg

Apparently, this was the only issue with the roof extension and sides.

mike