Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 Ford Ranchero

We'll unless I read the box wrong the new ranchero comes with a caddy engine ! Also gas cans, bumper jack custom roof, Fender skirts plus much more!!

;)

Could you show us the box Harold? I haven't seen it yet. I know the other issues had a big block Chevy.

It mentions that his Willys gasser used to win the award had a Cadillac engine. The kit still has the Chevy.

amt822box-vi.jpg

I like the new dog dish hub caps, which have never been kitted before. The "potent 8 cylinder engine" was a BBC, but a resin straight 6 should take care of that.

-MJS

Mike,

Aren't those the same dog dish caps that were kitted in the '60 Starliner kit?

After a few hours of work, here's what the Fairlane chassis and underhood core looks like under the Ranchero. It's not correct. But, it's tons better than what was under it. The chassis is glued together. But the core is just tacked. It still needs a little tweaking under the hood. But, it's close enough that I can quit on it for now and get back to my other projects.

013_zpsf4330142.jpg

022_zps554e55a5.jpg

Edited by plowboy

After a few hours of work, here's what the Fairlane chassis and underhood core looks like under the Ranchero. It's not correct. But, it's tons better than what was under it. The chassis is glued together. But the core is just tacked. It still needs a little tweaking under the hood. But, it's close enough that I can quit on it for now and get back to my other projects.

I knew there was another reason to buy several of those later tool AMT '66 Fairlanes while they were cheap!!!! Thanks Roger!!!!

Picked up the kit, and I have to say I'm a bit lukewarm. And yes, I was expecting a 50-year old kit with a couple of new parts, but...

The new wheels have extremely short mounting bosses for the metal axles- fully seated, there's a HUGE gap between the inner wheel and the chassis- you can slide the axle side-to-side quite a bit. I'm building one as a quick curbside, so I used some leftover sleeves from an MRC wheel set to cure that.

The new grille looks okay, other than it's a bit flat-surfaced (check out the kit grille and compare it to the 1:1 on the box top and you'll see it), and the headlights seem to be a little bit Rodney Dangerfield (ie- they bulge out a little). I was messing around with the kit a little yesterday- seems like if you cut off those small D-shaped tabs in the fenders (which the back of the grille rests against), and trim the front lower portions of the fenders a bit, the grille will sit a little further back in the fenders- that seems to mitigate the issues to a degree.

The other thing is the molding quality of the other parts. Yes, again, I was expecting a 50-year-old kit, but I'd hoped they'd have cleaned up the molds just a little bit for the remaining '61 carryover parts.

I'm over the fact that they did not tool up a proper six- Round2's engines have been a bit on the underwhelming side (PL Batmobile), and I have no reason to expect a new engine for this kit would be much of an improvement.

Like I said- just lukewarm with the overall kit, but I still do plan on buying at least one more. There's still more than enough provided here to make a pretty decent model if you're willing to work for it.

8 color photos of the real truck comes in the kit, what engine really was in the original truck? Straight six or a small ford 8?

Straight six (lots of info regarding this if you read back in the thread).

Decent looking new wheels and backs form what i can see, but (just to be nit-picky again), they should be four bolt wheels for this vehicle. Put the hubcaps on 'em and no one will know, right?