Model Cars Magazine Forum

On the workbench today...

Been far too long since I have even tried to build anything. I wanted to start with a kit I would not want to put too many extras on. I am sure I will still have to fight the urge to over do it.. but I will try to keep it as box stock as I can.

Updates will be slow, I am actually in the process of setting up a temporary build space in my outside storage unit at the property I manage.

I believe I already started this kit a few years back but only got as far as washing the kit and maybe cleaning up some stuff.

o172372462-L.jpg

Edited by Project510

Cool. I didn't even realize this was in California Wheels now. Any definite colors planned yet?

I was thinking something like this. Nothing set yet tho. Want to keep it simple, get some seat time in.. and actually complete something to really get the stuff flowing.

Also, I think I purchased this like 4-5 years back so I am sure its out there.

two%20tone%20fleet%20blue%20and%20white%

Edited by Project510

###### I am jealous. I have been trying to find that kit, with ebay for a while (at a reasonable price). I look forward to the build. Don't let me down. No pressure !!!!!

darn not the ######

I believe it's a current product. I think I saw it at Michaels the last time I was there.

###### I am jealous. I have been trying to find that kit, with ebay for a while (at a reasonable price). I look forward to the build. Don't let me down. No pressure !!!!!

darn not the ######

It is a nice kit and can not wait to see what he does with it, my hobby lobby has had this kit on the shelves, (not the california wheels but the trucks version) for quit some time, if you can use the revell trucks version and have a hobby lobby close check em out and remember to use the 40 percent coupon or there new app for smart phones to pick it up.

Well if I wasnt nervous before I AM NOW!

Updates should start to slowly roll in after tomorrow. I will be clearing out the storage area, setting up my desk and tools. I just need to figure out ventilation. I think a simple screen door paired with my huge fan should be good enough.

Thanks for all the photos, encouragement, and PRESSURE!

I had a 1:1 '64 Chevy pickup back in the 70's only it had a "stepside" bed. After I blew the 6 cylinder motor, I put in a 350 block with an L88 cam, Holley spread bore carb, Hooker headers, and a dual point dizzy. It also had a four speed tranny which came out of a wrecked Nova as well as the engine did also. The truck was a rust bucket, but lots of fun, and got me pulled over by the local Barney Fife's a couple of times.

I had a 1:1 '64 Chevy pickup back in the 70's only it had a "stepside" bed. After I blew the 6 cylinder motor, I put in a 350 block with an L88 cam, Holley spread bore carb, Hooker headers, and a dual point dizzy. It also had a four speed tranny which came out of a wrecked Nova as well as the engine did also. The truck was a rust bucket, but lots of fun, and got me pulled over by the local Barney Fife's a couple of times.

An "L88 cam" will not work in a 350, L88s were Big Blocks.

It is a nice kit and can not wait to see what he does with it, my hobby lobby has had this kit on the shelves, (not the california wheels but the trucks version) for quit some time, if you can use the revell trucks version and have a hobby lobby close check em out and remember to use the 40 percent coupon or there new app for smart phones to pick it up.

I went by one of the hobby lobby's thats no too far from my house in hopes of finding one of these kits but they didnt have any. I may have to try another one here in the valley. Gotta love the 40% off coupon lol

So I am looking through photos and I think this is the stance I will try to go with.

sport_truck_wallpapers+1964_chevy_pickup

I will get some photos of the stock height up by this evening, but its no where close. I am hoping to find a build somewhere of a good way to drop this thing another 1/8 inch

Finally got started on the kit today. I was hoping not to have too much custom work to get this thing low but it looks like its gonna need help.

DSC_0141-XL.jpg

Its not a bad stance but the look I am going for is much lower. Sooooo I put together the chasis and cross members to see what needed to be adjusted.

The seems to be the only issue. I dont really see a place to just cut and remove so drop it down. If anyone has some pointers, or previsouly built kits I can use as build plan that would be cool. This will be my first attempt at anything other than simply chopping blocks to lower the car.

DSC_0153-XL.jpg

The rear seems simple. Chop the the rear braces like an 1/8 and I think it will totally change the look of the truck. No crazy tricks needed, rear diff should still clear.

DSC_0151-XL.jpg

Removed this line fromt eh hood I did not like.

DSC_0144-XL.jpg

DSC_0145-XL.jpg

Other than the ride height situation, the other issue is the quality of the kit. I guess I am too used to tamiya kits which too me are some of the very best. Lots of thin gaps in the front clip and most annoying of all... The detail of the interior roof liner is ruined by these injection mold circles. Obviously removing them is a no brainer, but I do not think I can do so without messing up the molded in detail.

DSC_0150-XL.jpg

More pics tomorrow. Like I said.. slow process.

I will get you some pictures of how I did mine. The front was really simple but I decided to scratcbuild the rear half of my frame. I guess it really depends if you want looks or accuracy.

• Project510 changed the title to On the workbench today...