Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mid '70s Chevy rescue van Round 2

Is there anyone who has an original kit and can take photo's of the contents?

Because IIRC the side panels (behind the front doors and between the upper beltline and roof) were separate parts, so if the inserts of window option still exist, it would be neat just to include it as a option for those who can handle a saw and knife ;^)

The side panels have been permanently and irreversibly "installed", so this body can never go back to the original version with upper separate inserts without a major reworking of the body shell. I'm guessing Round2 looked into that possibility, but considering the most recent "Dirty Donny" version is what currently exists, and the Rescue version's box art depicts a panel van, going back to the original body shell isn't something I'd expect to ever see happen.

Here's the original Rescue version:

chevresvan.jpg

72a8c435-22ce-4003-8d9e-a7ae4f6c18bb.jpg

527bdfa1-3e4a-41ae-b77c-e3a270efac1c.jpg

3c61f0dc-b68f-4d6d-8a2b-861011fd0e30.jpg

ceefd71a-19a9-4112-8e29-40b297b49dc0.jpg

4e2ef290-a8bc-4e98-ac73-5c985b257197.jpg

92e8f179-a524-4edc-b67f-88c1a7bc1379.jpg

0fac5da9-ef39-474a-8a19-4493248e9441.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just ordered one from Model Roundup (the red-moulded version at that) and am now anxiously awaiting its delivery .

The box art alludes to having the sidelight ( colloq. , "windows" ) inserts ... remains to be seen . I don't care either way ; just nice to have this bad boy back in the mix !

I just ordered one from Model Roundup (the red-moulded version at that) and am now anxiously awaiting its delivery .

The box art alludes to having the sidelight ( colloq. , "windows" ) inserts ... remains to be seen . I don't care either way ; just nice to have this bad boy back in the mix !

If it has the optional side panels I will get one or more of them.

The box art alludes to having the sidelight ( colloq. , "windows" ) inserts ... remains to be seen .

If it has the optional side panels I will get one or more of them.

The side box art has been updated to reflect the lack of any side windows, so as stated in post #2, this is strictly a cargo van now:

Perhaps someone will offer the original "optional side panels" in resin. I would imagine that the cut outs for the side panels would be on the inside of the van body, unless they retooled it. Just a thought - "hint, hint, hint"...

David

That would be nice David...I have the window van and the one they called the Mini Motor Home open road both build ups needing work and parts from my dads old stuff...very cool kits.

I'm guessing this '72 Chevy Sportvan Strip 'n' Surf version, kit T518, came after the Rescue version, but here's a look at that kit, courtesy of a current eBay listing:

c30afb0e-be74-4dd3-b796-9a993c04fc22.jpg

411fd771-ebd2-4ccd-a10c-5d7c9bc95fcc.jpg

66eaf57e-6af6-4024-bd3c-2ab74ba37999.jpg

92607404-7f8d-467b-a8a1-456ee7f1d8b3.jpg

abe82125-3e1a-43cb-ac80-d9ba9b6c1880.jpg

8b8b01cd-2d4f-48a8-914b-b63c1dc1689c.jpg

Wow Casey...I never knew any version of this kit existed with a set of surfboards and a blown 454 option! Thanks for posting this....TIM

Sadly, The retooling of the body did NOT leave markings for cutting out

the sides for use of the Window panels!

I have the A-Team issue I have been working one since First issued!

You CAN see the marks for the windows in the rear doors though.

However, it would be MUCH easier to cut them out After cutting the

doors loose from the body!!

I did that on my Blue department Rescue Built from a "Sunchaser" issue!

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhh, but would there be enough interest in window vans to merit a resin caster's effort?

Maybe, but I doubt it. Maybe if the caster offered a dedicated window van body with the insert already molded in place, the drip rails back in place, and a few bench seats. The clear windows might be a challenge, too.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Maybe if the caster offered a dedicated window van body with the insert already molded in place, the drip rails back in place, and a few bench seats. The clear windows might be a challenge, too.

Casey, couldn't one create the windows with some clear plastic? IIRC there weren't any compound shapes to those side windows.

Just got the one which I'd ordered a few weeks ago ; the red-colour-mould version (by choice) .

I was happy to see :

- Restoration of the ambre and red exterior lighting

- Front seats were also restored

- Snow tyres

I for one am pleased as pie to see this kit --in any incarnation-- available again !

Ahhhh, but would there be enough interest in window vans to merit a resin caster's effort?

Considering the windows are pretty simple to create, what if someone were to offer a template for a window van? One could trace an outline and then using some basic tools cut out the windows, no?