Model Cars Magazine Forum

The glamor rigs are what really catch our attention, and are what we dream of driving out on the open road where we can enjoy the views and be "Kings & Queens of the road". Let's face facts. We know the luck most of us would end up with. We'd get a job driving in city traffic with long trailers, while feeling our way through narrow alleys and double parking along busy streets while we hand unload heavy packages all day.

That is exactly what this truck was built to represent. I grew up in Iowa and saw many of these types of rigs, and they were very popular in the Eastern part of the United States. It was sad because about the only interest they generated was from impatient drivers. After implementing a couple of minor alterations to the original kit and adding a few details, this is my tribute to those unsung heros of the alleys. Pardon the poor picture quality.

i70167900._szw1280h1280_.jpg

i70284037._szw1280h1280_.jpg

i70383856._szw1280h1280_.jpg

i70383889._szw1280h1280_.jpg

i70642596._szw1280h1280_.jpg

i70383914._szw1280h1280_.jpg

Edited by Kodiak Island Modeler

This is from the AMT kit with the blue truck on the box. I've made several different daycabs from this kit, but this is the first time that I shortened the chassis and changed to a single rear axle. I started with Phil's book, but then went off on my own, maybe that's why I never did well in school. I never could follow instructions. I cut it to a daycab, shortened the kit fuel tanks, rebuilt the bumper to an early version for this truck, and used the rear axle/suspension from the Ford C cab. I also used the wheels from the Ford L series and altered them to two holes, and then made my own exhaust for it, finishing it with detailing of the cab and chassis. Other than that, it's pretty much straight from the box.