Model Cars Magazine Forum

Steel Wool

I think you might get more help if you change the title of the post to show your looking for ways to "rust" things. I use a product called Sophisticated Finishes Rust Antiquing Set. It's sold at Michaels Craft stores and I believe at Hobby Lobby as well. It's made by a company called Triangle Coatings. It's a two step process that actually rusts the plastic part. The first step is to paint the part with two coats of a special paint that comes in the kit that is loaded with super fine iron particles. Once this dries, you paint it with the second part which looks like Windex. This actually makes rust form. Here's some pics of it used on an exhaust manifold/turbo and a brake drum.Cummins2.jpg

Cummins.jpg

Axlepic.jpg

Brakeshoes.jpg

Edited by Ben

I've been using 0000 steel wool for paint prep, removing mold lines, scuffing tough places to sand etc. I usually give a small ball

of it, (or the whole pad )& rinse it out with denatured alcohol and then rub the part down and wash with dawn. Steel wool is cheap, and if a piece of it starts to rust I toss it.