Model Cars Magazine Forum

We are going through a relocation and have packed up almost all of the models and tools for the move. But in the mean time I thought I would keep this one out for my plastic fix!

Inspired by a custom ranch truck model in SA Enthusiast, 1998.

b.jpg

It was my first real attempt at Body modifications (open door not hinged), chassis mods and drive line swaps. Metalizer paint where new to me and polishing paint was for cars not models! But I thought I would try that as well. I smoothed the fenders, sectioned the cab and cut the hood down. The 50 Ford was combined with a Boyd's Smoothster.

This model has gone through some rough handling over the years and has collected quite a bit of dust. I have always wanted to restore it so here we go.

The tires shrunk up and cracked, the glue is brittle and showing, the paint needs something and I would like to detail the engine more. Any way take a look and let me know what you think.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a7.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a8.jpg

a10.jpg

Edited by James2

Thanks guys. Hard to believe I built this one 15 years ago!

I always thought the bed needed something more. Last evening I bit the bullet and shortened it up 1cm. And flipped the fenders around to keep the wheel base the same.

I'll notch the running boards and post pix later, I think it looks pretty good.

I guess this should be considered more than restored now?

Thanks guys, here are a few pix of a lose mock up. I shortened the floor boards, flipped and tacked the rear fenders and set it on the chassis. The wheel base fits perfectly!

I may not be working on anything for a while, as I said we are getting ready to move. But I will keep this one close to the top of the boxes...

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Been busy relocating, but have much of that out of the way now. Here is a little progress I have managed to accomplish.

Molding the fenders in, filing the fender to accept the tires and hinged the driver door. (Instead of gluing in position)

Also made a new bed cover and roll pan for the tail end. Thanks for the interest...

c2.jpgc6.jpgc4.jpgc1.jpg

I found time to smooth things up a little, add some cool tail lights from my parts box, hinge the hood and apply a little Tamiya primer.

I also made a panel for under the hood that will get BMF. Thanks for the interest...

d3.jpgd4.jpgd5.jpgd6.jpg

With the heavy sectioning of the hood and the appearance of the rear axle being pushed back, I fully expect one of those "Oh look, no engine!" hood-up shots and an accompanying "Here it is!" shot of a Toro drivetrain sitting in the box. :P

And if that's not what you're doing, I may have to steal the idea for myself. ;)

• 3 months later...