Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Dodge D-100 replica *UPDATED 2/20/15*

Hey everybody, I am here to build a replica of my new truck I just bought a week ago. It's a 1977 Dodge D-100 with a stepside, slant six and 3 on the tree. It's got very minimal rust on the body and needs a little patch work on the floors, but it's not bad. It runs and drives wonderfully!

I now can start building my AMT/ERTL 1978 Dodge Lil Red Express to replicate my truck, and I just bought another kit on eBay to replicate what I want it to look like when I'm finished...then I can look at it and that will be my drive to build it in 1/1 scale as well!

First off, here's the actual truck:

IMAG0114-1.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

Here's the kit I'll be building to replicate it (just bought some parts for it online, including an interior bucket with a bench seat!)

IMAG0150.jpg

And the engine I ordered online:

rgslantsix.jpg

I hope to be starting the project soon. I also ordered some police wheels from a Revell '70 Road Runner kit too. Stay tuned folks!

Edited by brodie_83

Nice truck. Gotta love the six with a three on the tree, my old Chevy has the same combination except that I have a Borg-Warner R10 overdrive unit on it, too.

A quick tip on that later issue LRE, the rear springs in that kit are for the 4x4 option that was in the Warlock version of the kit. It has the lift blocks molded to them, and makes the rearend sit way up, similar to the problem found on the IMC/Lindberg L700s. If you cut the blocks down about 1/8", it levels it out and makes for much better lock.

Thanks for the tip! The truck has a bit of a rake to it, so it actually might look about right. LoL we'll see what happens. I'm also going to build another one that will be lowered and have an awesome paint scheme...to what I eventually want my 1/1 truck to look like :)

I noticed the rake on your 1:1. I did a mockup when I built my LRE, the rearend sat up high enough it looked like an old '70s Street freak with Gabriel Hi-Jacker shocks in the back :blink::D . Here's a pic of it after I finished it, with 1/8" taken out of the rear blocks'

100_1676.jpg

I left a little rake in it.

Awesome! Thanks for the picture! Looks like the original color of my 1/1 truck!

So I got the slant six Gibson engine and the bench seat interior tub today, so I will be starting this very soon. Right now the interior tub is getting stripped with Dawn Power Dissolver.and will fill in the pattern of the seats so they are smooth, then add the welt cord in the appropriate spot and start painting. I've never worked with resin before, so the engine might throw me some curve balls...I know the assembly is usually used with super glue, correct? I also picked up some paints at Hobbytown that were close to what the trucks colors are.

Anyways, here's what I have so far:

Stripping the interior tub

IMAG0258.jpg

The Gibson slant six ready to be worked on

IMAG0262.jpg

The exterior paint, Tamiya Metallic Green...it's actually pretty close to the actual color!

IMAG0261-2.jpg

The interior color(s)...gotta mix these two colors to get the right shade of "jade green", then use the gloss or flat clear in the appropriate spots.

IMAG0260-1.jpg

Edited by brodie_83

I'm finishing a Gibson 440 engine now it fits together very good there is a little flash to remove and check the fit there may be some sanding required to get the right fit. I used Dupi - color from Autozone. Look forward to see your progress.

Yeah I assembled the block, head and valve cover since they're all gonna be the same color (blue with lots of black wash). It assembled well and removing the flash wasnt a big deal at all. The valve cover-to-head fit was a little off, but you'll never notice it. I'm hoping to atart on the rest of the engine and start on the interior soon. I think tomorrow evening i'll go over the interior tub with a toothbrush and toothpaste to remove the remaining bit of paint.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey, sorry guys...I've been busy with doing some interior work for a buddy of mine for a side job, plus working on my 1/1 truck, so no progress on this until my life settles down a bit. I still have plans for building this. I might look for another Slant Six too...not a fan of working with resin. Not saying the Gibson engine is BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, because its not...just like working with styrene better.

Hey, sorry guys...I've been busy with doing some interior work for a buddy of mine for a side job, plus working on my 1/1 truck, so no progress on this until my life settles down a bit. I still have plans for building this. I might look for another Slant Six too...not a fan of working with resin. Not saying the Gibson engine is ######, because its not...just like working with styrene better.

Should be able to find a plastic one easy enough. The best one out there is the Lindberg '63 Plymouth / Dodge one. The Deora also has one as does the original Revell '62 Valiant and Lancer kits. I believe there were also 6s in an early Barracuda.

• 1 year later...