Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Dodge 330 Street Beater

Casey429

I picked up this Dodge when Ollie's had a bunch of Lindberg kits cheap, I think I paid $7.99 for it. I didn't want to build it stock, the only option on this one. I didn't want to do a really shiny build either, that way I didn't really have to stress over getting it all right. So I decided to let my imagination run wild and with some judicious raiding of my parts stash, here's where she sits.

The engine is the kit block and some other bits, but that's about it. Tunnel ram & carbs I think are from a Revell '70 Buick GSX. I made the deep sump oil pan by grafting on another one from a broken spare oil pan. Alternator is from a '69 Charger. I wanted it to look wild so I painted it Lawn-Boy Green with kit heads done in Testors aluminum. Intake and valve covers are Duplicolor chrome, carbs and pan are Testors gold, yellow distributor cap, and a purple oil filter to represent a Royal Purple piece. I drilled the heads for headers that I'll build, just need to see if I can snake them through the chassis or send them out the fenderwells. In my mind, it's a 505 stroker with Indy Cylinder heads and a bunch of other go fast goodies, it'll be thirsty with those dual Holleys. It's backed up by a beefed 727 TorqueFlight.

IMG_6863_zps6792a87d.jpg

I kept the chassis pretty simple. Primer with body color overspray, dusted with red oxide primer to mimic surface rust. I'm shooting for a fairly clean original looking car that's been bought on eBay or Craigslist and hopped up. I scratched up some subframe connectors and did the front suspension up to look like its been freshened up and painted. Gloss black k-member and a mix of silvers for the other parts. Eventually, the rear fenderwells and quarters will get caked with rubber.

IMG_8674_zps64edc89e.jpg

Same idea for the body. A little primer, a little putty, a few dings, scratches and other assorted blemishes. I removed the trim from the door and left it and the quarter in primer. The passenger rocker was replaced and puttied, but there was racing to do. I was going for the work in progress look. The go fast has been sorted out, and the look good is still in the works. Color is Cummins Beige, close to Tan Poly, a factory color. Who knows, maybe it's had a Maaco repaint at some point.

IMG_3492_zpsc8b8b707.jpg

IMG_0833_zps998eb32b.jpg

And a few mockkup shots...front wheels and tires are out of the box, rears are parts box Goodyear cheater slicks and 5 spoke mags. I flipped the front spindles for oil pan ground clearance, and the rear will get shackles. I'm still deciding between a set of old school slapper bars or ladder bars too.

IMG_3738_zps425e66c1.jpg

IMG_2471_zps5d440566.jpg

Let me know what you think, and thanks for lookin!

Edited by Casey429