Model Cars Magazine Forum

FUTURAY! 1950's Flying Concept Car! WIP Photos, Finished!

Ira

FUTURAY!

I am building the FUTURAY as a Concept Flying Car that was designed in the 1950's.

The 1950's Style Figures included in the Futura kit will be Perfect Pilots for the FUTURAY. The Futura Bubbletop and Interior are Great Parts for the project too.
I used parts from the Revell Futura, AMT Silhouette and the AMT Romulan Warbird kits to build the FUTURAY!

DSCN3706F_zps5aa43d75.jpg

Let's get Started!

The Romulan Warbird comes in 2 main sections...

DSCN1908J_zps1a69e313.jpg

I am using the bottom section for this build...

DSCN1909J_zps302d3b8d.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Does your brain ever hurt coming up with this wild builds? Just kidding but I'm blown away seeing what you create and how great they turn out. I'll eagerly watch how you turn these three kits into another unique creation.

NUBIAN SUBLIGHT ENGINES!

These parts came from a 48th scale Revell F-18-A Hornet.
I cut off the mounts on 2 halves, they will be Top Sections of the Sublight Engines.

DSCN2453J_zps78157f61.jpg

I removed these tabs to make room for the New Engines.

DSCN1948J_zps89f59ba9.jpg

Then I glued the Top Engine Sections in place.

DSCN2456J_zps89590f33.jpg

I cut the Bottom Engine Sections down to fit the underside, and glued them in place.

DSCN2460J_zps4058b33d.jpg

More Coming... B)

ADDING SOME FUTURA!

I glued the Futura Body together, but the Interior is loose.
I did some test fitting and then I cut off the lower front portion of the body to fit the Warbird.

DSCN2627J_zpsbb4ad6a6.jpg

I had to cut off the raised areas of the Warbird to fit to the Body. Next I cut out a big square area for the Interior to fit into.

DSCN2631J_zps30d231ce.jpg

Here is the First Fitting for the FUTURAY!

DSCN2624J_zps30e90d35.jpg

More Cuttin' Comin'...

B)

Hey, Ira!

I've been watching your last several builds and I love the stuff you come up with. I do have a question: Do you sketch out what you're thinking or do your models just sorta "organically evolve"?

Edited by Deano

Does your brain ever hurt coming up with this wild builds? Just kidding but I'm blown away seeing what you create and how great they turn out. I'll eagerly watch how you turn these three kits into another unique creation.

Thanks for the Kind Words Robert!

B)

TOO MUCH FUTURA?

Yes, I had to shorten the Body about an inch for the right shape.

DSCN2640J_zpsfba48fc7.jpg

I used a Cut-Off Wheel in a Dremel Tool to make the cuts. Then I Sanded the ends smooth on a Big piece of 100 Grit Sandpaper.

DSCN2642F_zps3f11013e.jpg

I almost forgot this bottom piece, it will be cut to fit the New Body Shape soon...

DSCN2647F_zpse5d3d973.jpg

Here are the pieces glued together!

DSCN2845F_zps9508ca43.jpg

More Coming... B)

I have a hard time watching your builds sometimes Ira because you so perfectly tap into the ideas that excite me and do it better and more creatively than I can for myself. It's inspiring and defeating at the same time. Oh well. Let the dazzling commence.

As Arte Johnson used to say, "Veddy Interresthting!!!" Ira I know you're seasoned enough to remember Laugh In, me too, until my folks decided it was warping my brother and my minds, then off it went!

As always I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing more of your creative brain childs.

Hey, Ira!

I've been watching your last several builds and I love the stuff you come up with. I do have a question: Do you sketch out what you're thinking or do your models just sorta "organically evolve"?

Thanks Dean!

I do both. Sometimes I start with a simple sketch, but most of the time I start playing with model parts and see what fits... :lol:

SILHOUETTE UP FRONT!

First I cut off the bottom of the Silhouette Front End.

DSCN2869F_zps6dd2e1db.jpg

Next I traced the Front End Shape on to the underside of the Warbird. I cut it out with a Cut-Off Wheel in a Dremel Tool.

DSCN2876F_zps05225c3c.jpg

Then I lined up the front edges of the Silhouette and Warbird and glued them together.

DSCN2881F_zps9359684e.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

I have a hard time watching your builds sometimes Ira because you so perfectly tap into the ideas that excite me and do it better and more creatively than I can for myself. It's inspiring and defeating at the same time. Oh well. Let the dazzling commence.

Thanks Mike!

More Coming Soon... B)

FITTING THE FUTURA!

After some Cutting and Fitting I was able to move the Futura Body further forward on the Warbird. Here it is in place!

DSCN2866F_zps3202e511.jpg

I trimmed the rear Underbody Section down to fit the new Body positioning.

DSCN2849F_zps12324228.jpg

After glueing the Body in place, I cut a piece of plastic to fill in the hood area and glued it in place.

DSCN3231F_zpsab4e4362.jpg

More Coming... B)

As Arte Johnson used to say, "Veddy Interresthting!!!" Ira I know you're seasoned enough to remember Laugh In, me too, until my folks decided it was warping my brother and my minds, then off it went!

As always I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing more of your creative brain childs.

Thanks Skip!

Glad you like it... B)