Model Cars Magazine Forum

FUTURAY! 1950's Flying Concept Car! WIP Photos, Finished!

Ira

THE UNDERSIDE...

This is the underside of the Futuray after the Futura and Silhouette Body Parts have been glued in place.

DSCN3235F_zpsf035cd40.jpg

The Underside Area hangs down too low in the area marked. I'm going to cut this section out and see if I can flatten it a bit.

DSCN3274F_zps7432c829.jpg

I used a Cut-Off Wheel in a Dremel Tool and Cut the area out.

DSCN3282F_zpsa2abce2a.jpg

More Coming... B)

NEW UNDERBODY!

I made an Underbody Template from file card, transferred the shape to plastic and glued it in place...

DSCN3287F_zps12985cce.jpg

I ended up by cutting the Underbody into 3 sections so that I could mount them lower.

DSCN3292F_zps6c7a614f.jpg

The slots on the sides were filled with plastic strips, glued in with Zap-A-Gap-Green Label CA Glue. The New Underbody made the body Much Trimmer!

DSCN3295F_zpsf4198023.jpg

More Coming... B)

PRIME TIME!

I applied a couple coats of Dupli-Color Filler-Primer. Then I drilled a hole for the Mounting Hole and glued a length of 1/8" plastic tubing in the hole. This tubing will accept a steel wire in the base and display the Futuray in Flight!

DSCN3426F_zps8bc73e09.jpg

I cut open two holes for the Vertical Thrusters. I am using Low Rider Wheels for the Thrusters!

DSCN3439F_zps93835e0f.jpg

More Coming... B)

ORGAN PIPES!

These Pipes remind me of the Pipes on a Circus Organ. I decided to add Orthem to the Futuray. I started by grinding down the taillights nice and flat.

DSCN3712F_zps5fb715b3.jpg

First I cut ten 1/2" lengths of 3/16" Aluminum Tubing. Then I sanded off the aluminum burrs and cleaned the inside of the ends with an X-acto #11 Blade.

I set up the tubes up against the rear end and glued the two inside tubes together first. Then I glued the next two tubes to those and then the next two tubes and so on...

DSCN3716F_zps379c09b1.jpg

Next I trimmed the backs of the Pipes on an angle with a Cut-Off Wheel in a Dremel Tool. I test fit the Pipes and then Sanded the Pipes down some more untill I had a Great Fit!

DSCN3730F_zps4570299e.jpg

Here is how the Pipes will look when glued in place!

DSCN3723F_zpse2ece82c.jpg

More Coming... B)

SCOOPS!!!

I bought 2 boxes of vintage Styline Custom Parts a few years ago and every once in a while I find just the "Right" part in these boxes. I added the Rectangular Scoop in the middle first. Then I added the 2 smaller Scoops, one on each side.

DSCN3803F_zps5b165557.jpg

I added these 2 Little Scoops right behind the Bubbletop.

DSCN3819C_zps99a7a72b.jpg

These long Side Scoops were added next...

DSCN3813F_zps1cf6bac7.jpg

The Last Scoop was added on the bottom.

DSCN3838F_zpscb3f7e72.jpg

More Coming... B)

PRIME TIME!

I put on the final coats of Filler/Primer.

DSCN3850F_zps9ef8202e.jpg

The body work is finished!

DSCN3866F_zps56d49d2b.jpg

It's a Hot Weekend in Northern California. I may try painting Futuray in Tourquoise Enamel today...

DSCN3852F_zps72780e81.jpg

More Coming... B)

PLASTIC SURGEON!

Seating in the FUTURAY is much more reclined than the Futura, so some modifications are needed!

I cut the backs of the Man's knees with a razor saw, just enough so I could bend them forward.
I separated the Woman's left foot from her right leg and then I cut the back of the right knee.

DSCN3878F_zps33e98c0b.jpg

I fit them in the interior and then I glued the knees in the new positions.

DSCN3891F_zps68eccdab.jpg

Next I trimmed the knees to shape, added putty and sanded them smooth...

DSCN3904F_zps2aa5ee14.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

PAINTING THE PEOPLE!

I stuck the people on chop sticks with 2-sided tape. The sticks make it easy to hold the figures while painting.
Then I sprayed them with white lacquer primer.

DSCN3919F_zpsb2657d1d.jpg

I used water-based acrylics to paint the figures. Then I sprayed them with Dull Coat.

DSCN4130F_zps8c090826.jpg

I used "The Detailer" Black Wash, diluted a little with water, on the figures. This brings out the details, like in the folds in the clothes or skin...

DSCN4156F_zps2a0e98fc.jpg

More Coming... B)

LAST FEW DETAILS...

Well the Futuray is almost Finished!

I painted the interior with Water-Based Acrylics.
I was so happy when I dropped a wet brush on the wing and the white splash just wiped off with water!

DSCN4176F_zps3c930b02.jpg

I added a Wide Screen Monitor where the steering wheel shaft used to be. The Monitor is made from a License Plate Frame, with the recessed area painted black. I think the passengers are on auto-pilot now...

DSCN4192F_zps77ddf002.jpg

The Bubbletop is my favorite part in this kit. Here it is the after I applied Bare Metal Foil.
Finishing the last few details on the Futuray!

DSCN4198F_zps2af4e1b2.jpg

Finished Photos Coming Soon... B)