Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP '58 Impala ala Larry Watson! Interior Done, Final Assembly!

John Goschke

Finished up the interior, though I'll likely take it apart to add flocking to the carpet before NNL East. For now though all she needs are some license plates...Impala_Interior_Color_1-vi.jpg

Impala_Interior_Color_2-vi.jpg

ImpalaDone1-vi.jpgImpalaDone3-vi.jpgImpalaDone5-vi.jpg

John,

That is awesome '58!!!!!

John, I can't wait to see that in person! That is one sharp '58! EXCELLENT!

Bill, I would love to see yours beside John's. Sort of before and after, or before and after. Those have to be the best looking '58 Convertible builds I have seen.

Stunning build, the best 58 Impala I've seen put together. Paint is out of this world too, and the interior...Wow !

Amazing how so many small details can add to a build, a lot of work with the soft top yes, but overall just good, clean building !  Great job, I hope you do well in the competitions with it, you deserve a win or two !

John,

That is awesome '58!!!!!

Bill, I would love to see yours beside John's. Sort of before and after, or before and after. Those have to be the best looking '58 Convertible builds I have seen.

Hmmm..............that's a thought Ron! It's been a long time since I've taken my '58 to a show. Looks like I'll just go ahead and pack 'er up and bring it! :D

John, you did me one better as your uptop looks very nicely done! I had to go by restored pictures and the ones I had showed rounded rear quarter window contours when in reality, they should have sharper corners. Of course, I had no internet back then (2001-02) so I had to rely on mags, books (and memory).

Wow, gorgeous! Amazing how they can get the body right almost 60 years ago, yet they can't do it now with all the technology available.

Ain't that the truth! There are some models out there now that I can't help but notice the errors in body contours immediately, and these supposedly were done with the latest and greatest tech. :huh:

Base coat applied for a candy-style paint job. Top and scratch factory accessory "tuna boat" aerial.

58_Impala_base_1-vi.jpg

What strikes me about this shot is how much you start to see influences for the '59 Chev. I'd always though 57' '58 and '59 were the most diverse and stylistically unrelated 3-consecutive-year stretch in Chevrolet's history.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Once I get the plates on and the carpet flocked I want to try to get some better photos that'll show the flames to best advantage.

Ron, I like your idea and I'd be honored to display this model next to Bill's superb stock Impala, since that was one of the models, along with Irv Arter's black '56 Merc mild custom, that made me want to starting building car models again!

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Once I get the plates on and the carpet flocked I want to try to get some better photos that'll show the flames to best advantage.

Ron, I like your idea and I'd be honored to display this model next to Bill's superb stock Impala, since that was one of the models, along with Irv Arter's black '56 Merc mild custom, that made me want to starting building car models again!

Since I cannot make the NNL East, between the two of you, get some good photos to post here.

Since I cannot make the NNL East, between the two of you, get some good photos to post here.

Thanks, Ron. I usually don't carry my camera to these events as my tremor prevents shooting hand-held, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of coverage of the whole show as always!

What plates do you need? If you want CA I can whip up a set - give me the license number and year.

Thanks for the kind offer Chris but I've got it covered. Just need to print them out and mount them.