Model Cars Magazine Forum

I screwed up a body

I have an unbuilt Heathenly Hearse body gathering dust, and I do stack bodies when the size is similar. I buzzed the roof off of a resin Flinstone Superior and let it sit on the hearse roof for about two months, I took it off (tried to) to begin my 64 Cadillac superior and it was stuck. BAD! I pulled it loose and everywhere the resin rested against styrene it melted the plastic. Now, a week later the styrene isnt hardening. It's like gum in 6 places! I guess that '66 will be getting a superior roof in the distant future... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well, it will look great on there someday. When I get around to ANOTHER hearse roof graft.... UUUGH! Bet nobody has one of those!

Wow!

Yours is an unusual case in that I have never heard of that happening before! You mean you didn't add any solvents (glue, epoxy, etc...) to the area.......it was just resting against the plastic?? :shock:

The only thing I can think of is whatever chemicals are in the resin have reacted with the plastic and there may be no fix for the model. :D

If you have a digicam...........it would sure be nice to see this phenonemon! :shock:

P.S...........you did mean Heavenly Hearse did you not? :?

The only time I have ever seen anything similar was when I was building my John Deere Rockcrawler. I was trying to figure out what to use for the front suspension and decided to try to make air bags from synthetic fishing worms. After cutting a section of the worm to look like an air bag I put it in the box with the kit. The next time I opened the box the radiator looked like the roof of your hearse.

For awhile maybe a year or so ago, it seemed that Jimmy was having a problem with his resin - either it wasn't mixing properly, or something was causing some areas of the boies not to harden completely. I had heard of the problem from a coupl eof other builders online before I experienced it myself.

Although not as strange a problem as you experienced with the Hearse roof, my Salt Flat '34 body had three or four areas where solvent-based paints wouldn't dry completely. Instead of doing the metal-flaked show car I'd originally planned, I ended up painting it in flat acrylics instead. (You might note the pearl suspension and chunky flaked flathead block.)

34badboy04.jpg

34badboy01.jpg