Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heat. Heat is bad. Mmmkay.

So as you may remember, a while back I built a model of my pride and joy..

9272067948_6313486a64_b.jpg
And put it on the dashboard for display.
These past couple days we've had SCORCHING heat.
And, well... to make a long story short...
Heat is bad.
9272067354_2a9ede5677_b.jpg

9269284865_ce0f13a320_b.jpg
Moral of the story...
Careful how you store your models, guys!
;)

Just be thankful it wasn't much worse. I had a 79-81 1/12 scale Monogram Trans Am that was only partially built in the back window of my 1:1 79 Firebird while I was still in high school and after a day at school, the T/A suffered much worse! The kit was a T-Top and no glass installed at the time, and the windshield top and T-Top bar was melted completely to where it was touching the dashboard!

And this Ladies and Gentlemen is the exact reason I use SMOOTH-ON TASK 8 brand resin to make my bodies and other parts. Perhaps Gregg Hutchings could set up some sort of heat stress tests for resin parts and publish them in the magazine. I first started using the Task 8 when a club member put a resin kit and other items in the trunk of his car. We drove across town to a build session. When he got it in the house and pulled it out of the box it was warped badly. It was a POS! Piece of you know what. I have sent Gregg a few of my parts. Perhaps he could do some comparison tests.

Edited by Greg Wann

Tomo, sorry about your model, but at least you still have your gorgeous 1:1 GTI. I used to have that same model and loved the headlight layout on those early 90's GTI's.

Just out of curiosity, what the heck is that building behind your car?

LOL When I first moved out here, I learned quick not to just lay my arm on the door vs the armest when it has been sitting a hile, and that even steering wheels "warm up" from time to time.

Ain't that the truth!

And don't forget those 200degree ignition switch ears! They give you those delightfully burned thumbs and forefingers!

It's been near 100 here in Philly the last two days. The news said with humidity it felt like 106 today. I was at a business appointment and my Caravan sat out in an unshaded parking lot. I got in and quickly turned the key to get the power windows down and the first blast from the a/c was so hot I thought it burnt my face!