Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby shops in Colorado Springs

Same here.

And every return trip to Colorado included a swing by Compleat.

If nothing else, just to see if Karl was still talking!

Nooooooooo! That was one of the best hobby shops I had EVER been to! I was living in the springs about the time "Pearl Harbor" came out. One afternoon I walked in to the store and Karl (japanese descent) asked me what I had been doing. I said I just went to see Pearl Harbor. As is his sense of humor, Karl looked me right in the eye and said "Oh yeah? What's that about?" :D:lol: He was hysterically funny and a great guy. I hope that he is doing well and has been able to move on to something bigger and better. If anyone has contact info for him please p.m. me. :)

Well, then you might just be in luck , you can get both at tower hobbies, and you can get free shipping if you buy both of them

http://www.plastic-models.com/

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCWEJ&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=002152672&I=LXCWFC&P=K

Thanks, never been to this site..and free shipping right now works out great. Now only if hl would get them so I could use the coupon.

Will be getting them both tomorrow. Thanks again Earle

Thanks, never been to this site..and free shipping right now works out great. Now only if hl would get them so I could use the coupon.

Will be getting them both tomorrow. Thanks again Earle

Its owned by Hobbico, which owns Revell :lol: , you are welcome .

• 2 weeks later...

Same here.

And every return trip to Colorado included a swing by Compleat.

If nothing else, just to see if Karl was still talking! (He was.)

Whenever I would go in and Karl was there my wife would always go next door to Poor Richards because she knew I wouldn't be out for awhile. Richard

I pretty much always would go in Poor Richards for some pizza after shopping at Compleat...went there all the time when I lived in the Springs from '97-02 and occasionally when I lived in Denver '02-08 and tried to go everytime I was back in town since then. Up in the Denver area, my favorite hobby shop was Colpars in Aurora, though I occasionally went to a place in Westminster and another in Greeley.

I pretty much always would go in Poor Richards for some pizza after shopping at Compleat...went there all the time when I lived in the Springs from '97-02 and occasionally when I lived in Denver '02-08 and tried to go everytime I was back in town since then. Up in the Denver area, my favorite hobby shop was Colpars in Aurora, though I occasionally went to a place in Westminster and another in Greeley.ra

The one in Westminster was Mizell's. It closed in July 2012. The one in Greeley was Don's.

And I never missed a chance to browse The Caboose in Denver. Biggest and best train store ever! They always have TONS of goodies that can be used in car and truck modeling, as well as an incredible plethora of tools, electronics, paints, exotic adhesives and paints/finishing materials, and scratchbuilding supplies.

Seems everyone knew Karl at Compleat Games & Hobbies, and I did too. He had a ton of stories, and I always enjoyed talking to him. It's a shame the shop closed, but it had been through a number of owners, two of which about ran the place into the ground.

My guess is that he's finally retired. Carl's gig at Compleat Games & Hobbies was only part of what he did. His other job involved stage work (show business, sort of).

The man knew his plastic kits. Probably better than most.

And, armor. Wow. I learned more about armor by osmosis while shopping when Karl was at the counter and wound up with one of the Fort Carson military modelers than hung out there. You couldn't help but hear him, he shared every morsel of info he had, and he KNEW his stuff!

An amazing character.