Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ninth Completion of 2013 -- 1957 Oldsmobile Nostalgia Build

Steve_L

These are pictures of my 1957 Oldsmobile "nostalgia" project. It was 1957 and I was a seventh grader who was in process of becoming a car guy. I had started learning to recognize car makes and models. I also was fond of reading the "little pages" Rod and Custom, Car Craft and Custom Cars magazines. I saw plenty of custom cars in the magazines but had never seen one up close and personal. That changed one afternoon when I was walking home from school. I saw this beautiful white 1957 Oldsmobile 98 2-door hardtop stopped for a traffic signal. It was lowered, had 1957 Dodge Lancer spinner hubcaps, a continental spare tire and made a really cool mellow sound when it pulled away from the stop light. I thought it was the most gorgeous car I had ever seen.

I decided to re-create my first "custom car" experience by building a model of that 1957 Oldsmobile 98. I bought a Modelhaus resin kit and their 1957 Dodge Lancer spinner hubcaps. I used Duplicolor primer, white color coat and clear coat for the project. The only modification was to lower the suspension. It was a fun project that once again took me back to the "good old days."

Enjoy!

IMG_3747-vi.jpg

IMG_3748-vi.jpg

IMG_3749-vi.jpg

IMG_3750-vi.jpg

biggrin.png

Really good looking model. All the '50s Oldsmobubbles thru '57 are on my favorites list.

Weren't you at the ACME meeting in Smyrna with this last weekend? I'm the guy with the fiberglass parts and the Challenger I.

Bill,

Yessir, that was me. I really look forward to learning more about your innovative work with fiberglass for model cars. See you in August, Lord willing.

Steve