Model Cars Magazine Forum

Micr Nitro Wire Wheels

Has anyone built up the Micro Nitro wire wheels for the nostalgia style dragsters.

They came with no directions ever after I asked twice for some direction or diagram on their assembly.

I just don't want them to look like a spider web once they are laced.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry I really do not have instructions for these. I have someone working on instructions and have seen them done many ways. I first got the drawing to make them from a customer. Here is a photo of a finished wheel and I will post the instructions as soon as I get them done. 008-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

TooOld (Bob Spedding) purchased these wheels from me in 1/25 scale and has documented the construction technique. He made many changes to the original directions I gave him and it appears he found the best way through trial and error. Yesterday Bob sent me an updated drawing, so he's still fine tuning. The photo Jim displayed is Bob's completed wheel. I'm using Bob's descriptions and photos to make a set of instructions. I'll include them with all wire wheel purchases. Thanks TooOld.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

So anyone has instructions on how to assemble those wheels now?

I hope they are still available, I have a few 1/16 dragsters waiting to be built here, and I'd like to have those wheels on 'em, I don't really like the wheels included in the kits...

So anyone has instructions on how to assemble those wheels now?

I hope they are still available, I have a few 1/16 dragsters waiting to be built here, and I'd like to have those wheels on 'em, I don't really like the wheels included in the kits...

If someone has the PDF instructions, you should be able to drag the file into the attachment area when you edit your post. Do let me know if there are any difficulties. I might have to do some tweaking.

The wire wheels are fantastic looking.  You can't get any more realistic than real wire wheels.  They require work and it's going to be slow going at first, but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier.

They are available in 1/25 and 1/16 scales from Micro Nitro (www.MicroNitro.net)

With the help of Bob Spedding's experimentation and expert building technique, I made directions for both scales.  The photo above is one of Bob's completed wheels.

They're available in a PDF file which I attached here.  If you have any questions regarding the instructions, email me at TedsModeling@gmail.com.

Jim, at Micro Nitro, has a wheel assembly fixture available which positions the hub and rim for lacing, but the instructions are still necessary to understand the lacing procedure and sequence.

Wire Wheel Instructions 1_16 Scale.pdf

Wire Wheel Instructions 1_25 Scale.pdf

• 10 months later...

Very old thread, I know...but MicroNitro.net is gone. Anybodt have any idea if there's anyone else currently making this size PE dragster wires?

I have some of the Herb Deeks 15" Borrani wire center conversion kits for plastic rims, but the diameter is too small to work for the 17" dragster wires I need.

And yes, I know I can lace my own, but at the moment I have more money than free time, so if I can buy some, I'll go that route.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I was looking into these centers:

http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_30&products_id=231

However I never ordered them...  part of me thinks there has to be a set of scale airplane wire wheels that could work.

Machined Aluminum Specialties had sets at NNL East that i decided to pass up..... regretted that decision as soon as i got home.

Finally I settled into the herb deeks wheels for my build.... the rims did get a bit thick for my liking, if i had to do it again i would try and find another source for a larger diameter center.  These are the 17" front tires from the JawBreaker Kit, herb deeks centers off eBay and machined other bits.

THANKS! I need to do a little figgerin' but those are listed as being about 22mm OD...so they just might work in 17" or 18" rims.

We also have an NNL-style meet here the first part of November. I don't know if MAS is scheduled for table space, but if so, I'll see about getting there early this year.  :D