Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 F-100 4-door dually diesel

Had an idea the other day. I have never done a diesel before so i decided to go all out with one. I'm taking a monogram 1955 f100 and turning it into a 4 door dually with a monogram ford dually kit. For the bed i decided to extend both the stepside fenders and the bed itself to clearance the duallies.

image_zps996c12d9.jpg

I already began by cutting up the cab, chassis, bed, and bedsides. I will be working on the drivetrain first while i wait on the second '55 coming in the mail. Updates will come in a day or two.

Got some more work done. Finally got the engine together minus some detailing. Mainly been working on fitting the bed and floor together. The cab will be next on my to do list. Bed is mostly finished, just need to make some metal strips between the wood. Engine will be a tight fit. Definitely a lot of new things for me so this may be a long project.

image_zps067df2f1.jpg

image_zpsef4a48b0.jpg

image_zps7f7d0bb9.jpg

Edited by 91blaze

The truck is going to be sweet, but as far as I know that motor isn't a diesel, its just a big v8 gas engine.

Yeah im trying to figure out what to do about that. Might try to turn it into a diesel. So stupid that a dually doesnt come with a diesel engine.

I believe the engine in the Monogram Ford F250/ F350 kits is a Fuel Injected 7.5L (460).

I was just having a conversation about diesels in my build thread. Unfortunately, it appears there are no Light Truck Diesels out there in this scale in kit form or aftermarket. :(

And that's why Im going to convert the engine to a diesel. I believe it can be done by simply running a turbo setup and modifying the fuel and electrical systems to resemble that of a diesel. I guess we will see if it works.

Well, then you are wrong. This is a FORD Truck, built in Dearborn MI. for the Union Pacific Rail Road.

You may want to check your facts before insisting that someone is flat out wrong. The truck may have been assembled by Ford, but Chris Martin was correct when he stated that these cabs were not built by Ford. It was very common practice until the mid-late '60's for the major manufacturers to contract specialty cabs AND drivetrains from outside suppliers...ie, coachworks companies. Ford, specifically, did not build its own crew cab cabs until 1965.

In any case, it's still an interesting truck, and I've got a very similar crew cab project just beyond the short queue, just with an extended wheelbase so that the cab doesn't have to cut into the fenders. But factor-built by Ford? No. Without the slightest doubt at all, no.

John, very cool project and you're off to a great start. I'll be following along. Let me know if you want some tips on how to rebuild that roof. Most modelers make that kind of work a lot more difficult than it needs to be, but there are tricks! :P