Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum e-mails, Notifications, Etc.

I had mentioned this before, but I'll cover it again.

The forum/web site was moved to a completely new server, and as such, everything has changed, from the mail servers, to the site certificates, cookies, etc.

What this means is no, you don't have to sign in again, create a new account, or what not.

You probably have to clear your cookies, and then accept the new ones when they are provided.

If you use blocking software, you will have to add modelcarsmag.com to your safe or whitelist.

This also goes for your email.

You may not be getting email notifications now from the forum, or so you think.

They are probably now filtered by your email, IP, hosting provider, or other such spam, cookie, or other filtering program.

You will need to check your SPAM, Junk Mail, or other such area in either your email program, or if you use a web-based email system/program, check the SPAM/Junk Mail/Bulk Mail folders for the emails from the forum/web site, and then add those to your "safe" or trusted emails/web sites.

The certificate for the forum/web site has changed, and it needs, or your computer needs, to know that it's from a legitimate source, again.

I have put the required/requested processes in place to have the rdns and other mail protocols set up to accept the new server as a good/trusted one.

They said it would take 24-48 hours, and that was a couple of days ago, so hopefully it should all be working now.

If this all sounds greek, or geek, to you, don't worry, it's worse to me....

I am learning along the way, and with David's patience with me, we are getting things done.

It's a really good learning experience, and it's been pretty neat to learn how this thing actually works behind the scenes.

I give a huge hat's off to all you computer IT guys that are laughing at me now, I never had any idea of the brain cells needed to do what you guys do.

So, check your SPAM/JUNK/Bulk Mail folders, and see if the emails are there.

You may have to dwell deeper in your settings if the emails still don't come through.

I do get the email notifications, so I know it works on my end, on a Mac.

For a PC, I'm lost....

I did the cookie that Gregg suggested and I'm up and running with email notifications. I just love it when a plan comes together.

Thank you so much, Gregg, for keeping the most bestest model forum running. (Does that help with getting an MCM gold watch?)

Gregg, you know man.. you cut the down time very very close with me LOL. To be honest, that other site with this one being down for over 10 days got to me and called me in to where I registered over there and left a post at! Next day something told me to check this site back out to find out the forum just came back up that morning. That was a very close call for me. I'm still going through my settings on here yet. This new forum platform you guys are on now is alot better. You won't hear me complaining to much. I don't need notices as I get on here on a daily basic to check things out. Keep up the great work there my friend.

• 11 months later...

I wasn't sure where to ask this or who to ask. Im having problems with the site all the sudden. If I make a post and click the post button nothing happens. I have to click the more reply options and hit the add reply button from there. well then if I wanna go back and edit the post it'll let me choose edit but when I get to the part where I can edit and do what I need to do and click submit it just keeps giving me some error. so there for im unable to edit anything. any ideas??? Mike

Edited by stang_crazy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Another glitch with the emails and validations of new user accounts.

I added a new IP to the server, for the outgoing mail, and that seemed to fix things… for a while.

Now, it's back to no emails being sent out.

Working on it now.

Change the mailing from a PHP to SMTP.

If that makes sense, you're hired.

It seems to be working now.

Last no good email looks to be at 7:31pm Wednesday night, my time.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Okay, huge changes to the forum. I missed a few of the earlier releases, so the tabs, links, etc. will have to be updated.

It's a more streamlined and supposed user friendly update/upgrade.

If any major glaring issues, let me know.

If not major, just hold on, bugs will be worked out.

Yes strange changes. I've tried to comment on one thread and it sent me back to the first page to answer on someone els's comment. Not user friendly yet.

Lighter print on a white background is difficult to see/read . 

I've got three 'chat' notes at the top of the page that don't relate to me/ involve me! My 'chat room' has now been closed because there are too many comments by others that don't relate to me!

Each time I try to return to my previous page I was on throws me out somewhere else, Don't like it signing off!!

Edited by PatW

Yea Pat, I have a big "4" on my chatroom.  And I got that same error message.   Harry and Gregg said that we weren't getting a chat room and so be it.  Sounds like trouble anyway.  

My email notifications never worked on AOL and I don't think it works now.   My "New Content" button never worked on the old system but magically works now.  So I'll take that one, and it covers the email notifications I don't receive!  I get them from another non-modeling board and they're a pain in the tail anyway!

I have an old iMac that can only use the Safari 4.1.3 browser -- upgrades not possible without spending a lot of money.

I  can't post anymore on the new site format. Any chance of supporting my browser again?

I can post text only from my iPad, but not images that I use frequently for the reference of other members. 

Edited by sjordan2