Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette hot rod thingamabob Update July 26-13

cobraman

Going to try and build something along the lines of the drawings in one of the magazines. Mine will use a 53 Corvette body and the frame and such from the double T kit. Started cutting the body up and getting it smoothed. I will either have to shorten the rear of the car also or perhaps just lengthen the frame. Thinking I may also have to narrow the body as well but will try and avoid that.

1corvettehotrod001_zpsa21c651f.jpg

1corvettehotrod002_zps258d2f0b.jpg

1corvettehotrod003_zps998e32ad.jpg

Edited by cobraman

I like where you're going with it, man. But that's going to be a lot of cutting and gluing! I will follow this build.

Just personal opinion, but if I were to alter a '53 Corvette, it screams one seater spaceship to me. I'd either cut out the entire passenger side of the body and make it a narrow trike or shorten it just how you did and cover the passenger area as if it were metal, then put on a bubble top. I'm giving myself ideas, lol.

I think if you set that body next to a deuce body you will see a definite width difference. I think narrowing it will be necessary to get the look you are after.

This is a great choice of kit for this project, and I think it will be cool to see it progress.

Edited by Jantrix

Thanks guys. Rob, I think you may very well be right about having to narrow the body. Really don't want to . I will wait till I get the frame mocked up to see but I think a 1/2 inch slice would make a big difference in the overall look. We shall see.

Have to put this WIP on hold for a little while. The kit I bought to supply the frame and engine and suspension just wont work. I got the reissue of the double T kit and it is just too small. Doesn't really seem to be a true 1/25 scale kit. Time to cuise ebay and try to find a kit that will be more fit for my needs. As Arnold would say " I'll be back ! "

Thanks, I was really getting into this build. I think I need a 1/24 Monogram T Bucket kit to make this work well. I am going to put a couple of drag kits up for trade and maybe I will find a fellow member who has one they would like to trade.

I think I solved my problem. I just bought a Monogram LiL' Coffin. That should be a good platform to work with. Got it on ebay. Paid too much but I am hoping this will solve a lot of the headaches my other donation kit would have created. I went with a 1/24 scale kit in hopes it will make the 1/25 Vette look more to the scale I am looking for without having to splice the Vette body through the middle. We will see. Kit may be here by the weekend. I will just have to start another wip. I have another stupid idea for a rail dragster.

GREAT PROJECT & A GREAT START!

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one Ray!

Just a suggestion, You might consider making the Vette Body more narrow, maybe use the Coffin Interior in the Vette... B)

Still waiting on the donor kit but did get some more work done on the body. got it all puttied up and smoothed and primed. Ready for paint. Going to hold off on that until I can do a mock up with the new chassis. Also waiting to see if I have to narrow the body to get the look I'm after. As I said before I really don't want to because that would then mean modifing the dash and interior. We shall see.

dragstwr3andcorvettething003_zpsa895f494