Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: Revell '32 Ford 3-Window Coupe

gwolf

Hey guys, another work in progress (about 95% done, just needs tail lights and head lights):

Nothing very fancy with this one...

post-11636-0-55728400-1373984169_thumb.j

A Revell '32 Ford 3-Window Coupe that I picked up on eBay for cheap a few months ago.

post-11636-0-95649000-1373984170_thumb.j

post-11636-0-58205700-1373984172_thumb.j

post-11636-0-88133600-1373984167_thumb.j

The funny thing about this kit is that it used to be my favorite of the 32's, but after working on a gluebomb AMT version earlier this year, I just cannot get into this kit. The dimensions seem weird, everything feels too big or too small, too tall, etc for 1/25 scale. Does it make sense to say that the Revell-Monogram kit doesn't feel as easy to modify than the AMT? Regardless, it's still a quality kit, I just couldn't get into it.

My gluebomb AMT 32 Ford can be seen here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75266#entry947120

The funny thing about this kit is that it used to be my favorite of the 32's, but after working on a gluebomb AMT version earlier this year, I just cannot get into this kit. The dimensions seem weird, everything feels too big or too small, too tall, etc for 1/25 scale. Does it make sense to say that the Revell-Monogram kit doesn't feel as easy to modify than the AMT?

It's interesting you say that. The Revell kits are actually closer to being dimensionally correct in-scale than the AMT versions (the AMT is not tall enough at the cowl and rockers, resulting in a slightly sectioned appearance), and the AMT 5-window decklid is wrong by a fair bit, as are the body character stampings represented on the rear sides of the quarter panels on all the AMT '32 shells. Still, I tend to prefer the 'look' of the AMT kits.

The 3-window Revell kit you're working on can look good chopped and channeled, but what you have going is a good representation of a 3W highboy. Rear tires with a higher sidewall can help the look of these, as well as a little more nose-down rake.

To build hot-rods out of EITHER the AMT or Revell '32 kits that look completely 'right' takes some careful measuring and re-working.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It's interesting you say that. The Revell kits are actually closer to being dimensionally correct in-scale than the AMT versions (the AMT is not tall enough at the cowl and rockers, resulting in a slightly sectioned appearance), and the AMT 5-window decklid is wrong by a fair bit, as are the body character stampings represented on the rear sides of the quarter panels on all the AMT '32 shells. Still, I tend to prefer the 'look' of the AMT kits.

The 3-window Revell kit you're working on can look good chopped and channeled, but what you have going is a good representation of a 3W highboy. Rear tires with a higher sidewall can help the look of these, as well as a little more nose-down rake.

To build hot-rods out of EITHER the AMT or Revell '32 kits that look completely 'right' takes some careful measuring and re-working.

I've heard that about AMT kits before, Bill. Isn't that funny?

I think you can get accustomed to a depiction of something, even if it's wrong, and tend to like it better than the actual one. For example, since I was a kid I loved the aesthetics of the SR-71 Blackbird aircraft, the lines, the form, everything. But when I saw it in person at the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space in Dulles, it didn't look the same.

I think I still have another R/M 32 somewhere, I may have to try one out again.

nice job on the green and dark panellines :)

i did that exact kit and the quality is awsome , i just love the 32 fords from revell , did 4 revel ones now and all where great

but revell really needs to stop putting those rims in all the kits i never used them because i cant stand seeing them anymore ..

same go's for the tyres , they are not real nice (imo) and when sanded down they have a horrible wide line in the center all around

Edited by crazyrichard