"Smer" model car company, ever heard of it? Mercer Runabout

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hello. Thank you for reading my post. I found this model car kit online for $18.99. Model kit no. 954, 1/24th scale. Any info would be appreciated. (Mercer Runabout).

Posted · Report post

Smer is/was a Czech company that reboxed many kits, especially aircraft and military, from Heller and Merit. The cars are primarily from Merit and one of the best is the Talbot-Lago, though a lot of extra detailing is required. You just have to go with Google.

Posted (edited) · Report post

PS: you may want to look more closely at this -- the only Smer Mercer I found was #0954, which is 1/32 scale.

Edited by sjordan2

Posted · Report post

I have the Talbot Skip mentioned, plus a 158 Alfa Romeo GP car, also a repop from a Merit original. The parts fit well, the molding and surface detail is clean, and most of the major parts are there but they are very simple kits with low parts-count, and a lot of detail work is required, as Skip said, to make a standout model.

The tires are hard plastic, and the wheels will really need to be replaced entirely unless you want to build a 'period-style, box-stock' piece.