Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Trabant 601S

orangechallenger

here is my recently completed Trabant 601S by Revell...

basically it's a great model, very accurate and well made. but the problem comes from the paint as the real Trabant looks in not so white. i tried using silver spray from several feet away giving it very slight touch and then varnished for several coats ( however coats are much more than i expected, as i forgot water slide along with black trim on the side, not to mention vent .... )

and i regret about the headlights as there werent chrome parts supplied, i simply assembled them. it would look better if with chrome paint inside. and i dont have amber to paint the taillights :unsure: and most importantly i didnt paint the engine room!

9257051331_22ac54ae5b_o.jpg

9259843282_5e03ca6a26_o.jpg

9257070949_046a76da03_o.jpg

9257075131_fc7948ba52_o.jpg

That's a neat little car, and looks like a nice kit too. Tough luck on the tone of the white, it can be a pain at times to duplicate. Clean build, nice.

thanks,

i want to represent the theme of plastic communism symbol in their original and the most common shape, however it's not quite easy. and after some effort it's easily ignored unless a real white plastic is placed beside.

and this kit is the best Revell i ever get, after making several old rear wheel drive coupes plus a Viper. the quality is signifigantly improved comparing to earlier models, and it contains quite more kits than average. and decals are quite rich, as they provided license plates from many counties around GDR and many country identification ( plus special one with two angry crosses on DDR's D and R )

Neat car indeed, despite the issues you did a good job, and white can be a pain in the posterior, very nice!! :D

Thanks..... Well, indeed I didn't see too many white model kit cars so far and until I made one I know why. It doesn't look quite good for many models, especially landyachts... But it's a different story for a Trabbie!

DSC00016_zpsf2f24e8c.jpg

hi there, this is the Trabbie i built a while ago, i went for gritty East German realism.......two stroke smoke stains and all. i put the windows in with superglue to purposely get fogging, after all East Germany can be a chilly place

Edited by spotarama

Nice job with a quirky car and quirky kit. After all, it's a Trabant!

Yup indeed! a Trabant ! somehow Revell managed to mold all kits exclusive to sedan ( limousine model actually ... Well ) on the same panel making it possible to create a wagon ( universal ? If I remember correctly ) version.

DSC00016_zpsf2f24e8c.jpg

hi there, this is the Trabbie i built a while ago, i went for gritty East German realism.......two stroke smoke stains and all. i put the windows in with superglue to purposely get fogging, after all East Germany can be a chilly place

Oh well! You still have the kit designed at the time when Trabants were flooding from DDR! they designed it around 89 or 90, and somehow the model didn't come in a precise way ( the rear window leans more than real one ) however it's quite historical important as it came in the right time. I recommend you to try on this new one it's quite enjoying too ( if a bit more complex ) Just after finishing off it might be a bit too shiny and fresh for a Trabant :P

Edited by orangechallenger

Great looking build and neat little ride. If you had a closet full of them, would you try making a mini pickup version?

Ah, until you mentioned I didn't realize Trabant exists as a pickup sometimes! That would be fun but definitely challenging as the trunk needs some work also the rear bench seat along with quite a few panels. It would be out of my skill for the moment but I hope I would someday be able to make it :)

Ah, until you mentioned I didn't realize Trabant exists as a pickup sometimes! That would be fun but definitely challenging as the trunk needs some work also the rear bench seat along with quite a few panels. It would be out of my skill for the moment but I hope I would someday be able to make it :)

I didn't know they made a pickup either, I just looked at the lines and thought it could be done and look cool.

I followed a friend to a car show in his Trabant, it's a two stroke, so the whole front of our Mini was covered in unburnt Castrol "R". Two stroke oil! We spent quite a bit of the morning degreasing. He wanted us to go to another show with him and his buddy who has a two-stroke Saab 96, I told hi only if you guys follow me. :)

Nice looking Trabant by the way.