Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carter carb question....

Nice ones in 1/24 in revell's '53 corvette, and not very good ones in AMT's 1/25 '53 Corvette kit.

Both AMT's '57 Chevy (older releases) and the AMT chopped T kit have four, pretty good one-barrel sidedrafts to go with the optional blowers in the kits, but I don't remember if they're Carters or Rochesters.

dang, that's a new one on me, I hadn't heard about carter side drafts before.

they definitely look different than rochester side draft carbs.

my google image search turned up references to carter side draft carbs being used on corvairs, I've never seen that type on corvettes so I'd say that the corvettes had rochester side draft if side draft were used.

dang, that's a new one on me, I hadn't heard about carter side drafts before.

they definitely look different than rochester side draft carbs.

my google image search turned up references to carter side draft carbs being used on corvairs, I've never seen that type on corvettes so I'd say that the corvettes had rochester side draft if side draft were used.

Nope. I usually either know what I'm talking about or carefully check my research before I post.

Carter sidedrafts were on the early Corvettes.

This is from carburetor-manual.com:

1953 1954 1955 CorVette Tri Power Side Draft Carter YH Carburetor Manuals Collection

This Sale is for 4 differant "reprint" Manuals

First you get the 12 page 1954 Chevrolet Service News Bulletin.

Also the 6 page Carter YH Carburetor Manual which covers all the Carburetor Systems.

2 page Parts sheets with the original Carburetor & Part Numbers for the 1953 thru 1955 Corvette YH Carburetors.

3 page 1954 Chevrolet Corvette Adjustments sheets that cover Linkage, Idle Speed & Idle Mixture to Synchronize these three Carbs.

The Chevrolet Service News Manual contains Corvette Service Operations used for the Carter YH sidedraft carbs used on the 1953 1954 and some 1955 vettes also used these carbs, it covers proper carburetor removal, disassembly, inspection, repairs, assembly, installation, and Corvette carburetor specifications. It also has some tips on valve timing, intake manifold, valve adjustment and distributor points, this service bulletin was only available sent to the Chevolet dealerships in its time for update reference to all the mechanics for the latest service tips and updates.

=================================================================================================

Carburetor Technical Information (from:The Carburetor Doctor. www.carbkitsource.com)

The Carter YH sidedraft carb (kit CK456) was used on a triple carb installation on early Corvette 6 cylinder engines and turbocharged Corvair applications as well as Nash, Dearborn Marine and others.

CarterYH.jpgCarter YH sidedraft carburetor used on early Corvettes

==========================================================================================

A relevant google information search for "Carter sidedraft Corvette" and careful reading will return all the proof you need.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

not disputing you Bill, thanx for the info. :)

I had guessed that rochester had been standardized on GM equipment by then....bad guess on my part. :D

now...if I had ever gotten the chance to work on an early vette I would have known this already.

the main 3 carb setups I've gotten to work on was when my painter buddy converted his 69 firebird to a tri-power, although I had dyno-tuned a tri-power '66 GTO previously, I still get goose bumps when I recall the sound of opening the dump carbs during the full power check. it was a little unnerving being bent over the fender of a car ( to tweak the distributor into the sweet spot) that was trying it's hardest to escape the wheel chalks.