Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rail dragster with too many wheels

Since I am stalled on the Corvette hot rod thing while awaiting parts I needed to start another project. Looking at my stash I found a couple of dragsters I figured I would not build anytime soon so I had this idea to combine the two. Now, let me be the first to say I realize this is a crazy stupid idea that would not function well if at all in the real world. I have for some reason been building some strange stuff lately for some reason. That being said I present my next "stupid " wip. Done just for fun !

8wheeleddragster1001_zps8b74e64e.jpg

8wheeleddragster1002_zps9f1dc94b.jpg

8wheeleddragster1003_zpsa0f0f6f9.jpg

Ray that's the neat thing about modeling we can do anything that our imagination tells us to do, so what if it won't fly who cares , it's about the fun right, you might be surprised how good it looks when it's finished!! Keep on building em!!! :D

Oh why not!!!!!!! That's gonna be so kewl. I heard somewhere that there will be a real twin engine top fuel car built. They didn't say whether it will be inline or side by side like the Showboat.

Just shows everybody is thinking out of the bleach box.

It wouldn't help. It would be a dog. Thats why I called it a stupid build. It is fun to bash the two kits together however and is not intended to be a serious example of a dragster that would run very good let alone be competitive. : )

Seeing as how the whole point of 1/4 mile racing is seeing how fast you can get from point A to point B, I don't see how adding all the extra weight and complexity would help.

But hey... it's just a model! :lol:

Like lazlow already said, hooking up in excess of 8000 hp COULD conceivably be enhanced with the additional rear tires. There's a lot of tire-spinning wasted energy in a top-fuel launch. There have been several points in the history of drag racing where tire traction was the limiting factor in acceleration. We may be at another one.

Many experts 'proved' mathematically that 10 second ETs were the theoretical minimum, based on what was 'known' about coefficients of friction at one time. That was fine until someone ran 9.98. :o

The tiny front tires COULD conceivably help to lower frontal area, which is a powerful contributor to drag up around 300mph. When you consider that hundredths of a second count... B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Cool project! Reminds me of a story Cole Coonce wrote in Super Stock about a Front Engine Dragster with dual rear wheels that John Force and a few other guys where scheming up. There was a crude drawing of it on a napkin and a very funny story! I think it was all make beliveve, but it made for good reading!

Can't wait to see it done!

This is cool. Not practical - unless you add mirrors - but cool. I have a book that has a pic of an old Mickey Tompson FED dragster with a set of rear slicks tucked inside the rear line of another set of slicks. So the set up was simliar to yours. Weight issues aside - unless you use carbon fiber mirrors to compensate for the extra tires - they experienced some pretty bad weight transfer issues. When it wanted the do a wheelie it bounced back and forth on the tamdem slicks. Not a fun ride, I'd guess.

Keep going. This is a blast.

Ray.......I like what you are doing........Tommy Ivo and a bunch of others had Exhibtion show cars......I think this fits in with them .......Oh Ya don`t forget those mirrors :rolleyes: ........Ray you are doing a great job buddy..........always remember, "It`s Just A Model" :)

Thank you very much guys. Thanks for that dragster photo Bill. That thing is wild ! Do you know if it had any sucess on the track ? 2 engines and 4 slicks....WILD ! Maybe I should have stretched mine a little longer and put 2 engines in line in it.

Thanks for the kind words John. They mean a lot.

Hey Bill ! I've been looking at the photo you posted of the twin engined 4 slicks dragster you posted and thought "What a cool project that would be". 2 Wynns FE dragsters or a couple of Hemi Sphere kits could be a good start. Do you know where I could find more photos on line of this car just in case ? I searched but had no luck. Thanks.

Hey Bill ! I've been looking at the photo you posted of the twin engined 4 slicks dragster you posted and thought "What a cool project that would be". 2 Wynns FE dragsters or a couple of Hemi Sphere kits could be a good start. Do you know where I could find more photos on line of this car just in case ? I searched but had no luck. Thanks.

The thing was built by Art Chrisman and Frank Cannon in about '61 as an experimental "Hustler". Here's an interview with Art Crisman (nothing about this wild car though) for background. http://www.hotrod.com/feature_stories/hrdp_1301_take_5_with_art_chrisman/viewall.html

Here's a link to some other dual engined and dual-slick equipped cars...http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2006/12/dual-engine-diggers-and-dual-rear-tire.html

(click on the scans to get them big enough to read)