Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Peterbilt Wrecker

Here are a couple of mock-up pics of the crude beginnings of my next 1/16 project. I built a big Peterbilt wrecker with 3 rear axles about a dozen years ago, and after seeing photos of Ten-West's big Western Star wrecker with 4 rear axles I decided to do something similar in 1/16. Mine will be a Peterbilt and it'll be a rotator of course. I purposely arched the frame to compensate for the eventual weight of the wrecker body. This truck is approximately 31"-long without the as yet to be built wrecker body.

gallery_11866_1019_33831.jpggallery_11866_1019_215039.jpg

Edited by Mike77

How did you build the arch into it? Even though they won't be 1/16 scale, I have quite a few big wrecker ideas floating around in the brain.

When I spliced all the frame rails together to make the long frame I joined them at very slight angles to make the finished frame arch a bit. Right now the project is at a standstill due to low funds so I'm at a crossroads. I'm not sure whether I want to put everything away in storage for awhile or just sell the wheels/tires and chuck the whole project. Honestly, even if I finish it I don't know what the heck I'd do with a 2-1/2-foot-long wrecker model.

Well, it's looking good, Man.....I have the same problem with what to do with these models....They do take up a lot of space....I hope you figure out something....I like the roof you made for the sleeper....Very nice....

Thanks, but unfortunately I made the decision today to chuck the whole project. I put the wheels/tires and some chrome on Ebay. I didn't want to mess with making another ultra sleeper top so I just kinda improvised on this one, but it's a moot point now. :(

I've got a 4 axle 1/16th KW project waiting for me to get around to it.

post-9657-0-42972600-1374225394_thumb.pn

It's a shame you had to scrap the project.

You looking to sell what is left?

I already bid on the wheels & tires.

Send me a pm?

Edited by Bonekrosha

This will be big !

Tim

Unless you mean the KW, no it won't Tim. Did you miss he scrapped it??

Too bad I didn't see it before, I would have been more than happy to tackle the project.

Good luck on your build, keep us posted

Thank you but I've decided not to do the project at this time. I've sold part of it on Ebay and most of the rest is there now. I may hang onto the chassis in case I decide to restart everything later, but that may end up going too if I can figure out a practical way to ship a 31"-long frame! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hey MCM Friend.... absolutely amazing work on both trucks. I really love the picture of your previous white tow truck. This was the 1/16 scale too right? Any other pictures of this truck? Also, I may have missed it in a previous post, but what are the wheels and tires on both trucks from? Wheel can I get a set?