Model Cars Magazine Forum

project pro street 4.25.15 brass time!

streetmachine11

Ok so a little story behind this build. I bought this car when i was 13 as a slant 6 auto, a teal pantjob, white vinal top and mag wheels. When i was fifteen i worked summers at a restoration shop with my dad. After saving some money i started getting parts and working on this car. It was supposed to be a car for school but after my dad built his pro street trans am i loved the tough look it had so i decided to do the same. With his guidance i built this car from start to finish learning everything i could. I built the engine and transmission at 15 after the chassis was finished. I did all the bodywork and primed it in time to be able to drive it on my learners permit. After that the surcharger was added and the car was painted by my dad. It has been finished for 11 years now and throughout that time I've attempted replicating it in scale 3 times. Im taking another crack at it now that my skills have cought up with how i envision it. I've learned that replicating a car you are attached to is not an easy task because it seems that its got to be right

Enough rambling and on to this build

The 1:1

20130217_123851.jpg

20130217_123212.jpg

20130217_123128.jpg

20130217_123032.jpg

The 1 /25 scale

20130716_201429.jpg

20130716_200947.jpg

20130716_200908.jpg

20130716_200346.jpg

As always questions or comments welcome

jason

Edited by streetmachine11

Very NICE start, as you can see by my avitar I am a little partial towards dusters I owned a 72 myself when I was 17 until I sold it when I was 24 when our first child come along, I like where you are going with it, I will be following this build!! :D

Hi,

Great 1:1 car - you must be proud of it!

You've made a good start on the model - I know what you mean about building a model of your own car. I started a model of my street rod before it was finished - the car has been on the road 7 years and the model is still in its infancy!

Should be very cool, awesome story behind it! I am wondering how youre going to get the draglites chromed?

They are polished in 1:1, I would think aluminum buffing plate metalizer shined up with a q-tip would be a closer match to the 1:1. Looks like the start to a very cool project!

Edited by Blown03SVT

beautiful!! nice 1:1 ride. great start on the kit also. if I didn't have a 1:1 pro street road runner, that is what would be parked in my garage. had it since 91 and never even attempted a build of mine.

as said before, take your time and you should have no problems.

They are polished in 1:1, I would think aluminum buffing plate metalizer shined up with a q-tip would be a closer match to the 1:1. Looks like the start to a very cool project!

I know they're polished on the 1 to 1's ( I have a set on my streetcar) I thought the only way to replicate polished wheels is to chrome them in 1/24 and 1/25. what is aluminum buffing plate metalizer? I have a set of weld prostars that I thought I would have to find a company that will chrome plate them for me but if theres a closer match to polished aluminum I would love to know!

Edited by Dragfreak

thanks for all the kind comments and interest. the wheels will be done with buffing metalizer. ill have to try that q tip trick as i have never herd of that.

tubbs , i remember speaking with you some time ago and remember your road runner. you should build it in scale one of these days its a gorgeous mopar :-)

going to get on the bench and continue building

stay tuned

Jason

I know they're polished on the 1 to 1's ( I have a set on my streetcar) I thought the only way to replicate polished wheels is to chrome them in 1/24 and 1/25. what is aluminum buffing plate metalizer? I have a set of weld prostars that I thought I would have to find a company that will chrome plate them for me but if theres a closer match to polished aluminum I would love to know!

link here:

http://www.modelcars.com/model-master-metalizer-lacquer-aluminum-plate-spray.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

After gathering parts for the build its time to get started building.

I've cut open the trunk and separated the speaker panel from the back seat and made new mounts for the speaker panel then test fitted the body with a spare back window to check fitment .

20131212_213146.jpg

20131212_213207.jpg

20131212_213213.jpg

Separated the engine and transmission cleaned up the insides of the parts. The mounting flange has been filed into the plastic and ill be making an insert for the back of the block with the crank and freeze plugs. The inside of the transmission will be done also with a pump cover and input shaft to mount the torque converter.

20131212_214343.jpg

20131212_214617.jpg

All comments welcome

Jason

Looks good Jason! Be prepared to do a ton of test fitting! I had to do several adjustments on mine even though I practically built the thing completely before I ever shot the first coat of primer on it. The way the front end is set up on your real car, you shouldn't have all the problems I did with my model. I wish I had saw your car before I built my model.

Nice work so far Jason!

Did you make the torque converter? When the engine and transmission are in the car that won't be seen or will you do something different?

Michael, the torque converter is a resin piece from scenes unlimited and the lower half will be seen when its together. depending on how the build goes i may make it removable

thanks

Jason