Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nevada Highway Patrol Mustang

Agent G

While waiting for the clear lenses to arrive for my Missouri Highway Patrol Mustang, I began the second in my series of builds.

Nevada used a German Silver over Arctic Blue color for the cars for many years.

DSCF4350_zpsabb36a4d.jpg

DSCF4351_zpsef556f2b.jpg

The cars had the gray interior.

DSCF4343_zpsf521d2a2.jpg

DSCF4345_zpsd5f7823e.jpg

They used the low profile Jetsonic lightbar in '92-'93. I modified a lightbar from a diecast Crown Vic., I added the speaker housing.

DSCF4349_zpsd0c2389e.jpg

DSCF4352_zps84a31e79.jpg

Here's the real deal. Downloaded from the internet for discussion purposes only.

post-5122-0-68828300-1374121263_thumb.jp

G

Wow Jeff thanks for the link!

I did a NHP '53 Ford using the Lindberg kit years ago before I moved to Nevada. Little did I know I'd be living in Henderson after I retired and working in the state office building along side Troopers and other DPS folks.

G

Guest Johnny

I can remember them in the 1:1 form back when I was OTR driving. I was running about 85 when I saw it coming up behind me and he blew by me like I was up on jacks! Never did see where he was headed but it was about 3am! Coffee break perhaps? :lol:

I can remember them in the 1:1 form back when I was OTR driving. I was running about 85 when I saw it coming up behind me and he blew by me like I was up on jacks! Never did see where he was headed but it was about 3am! Coffee break perhaps? :lol:

More likely rushing to save someone's life.

Coffee breaks don't warrant high speed driving.

Jonathan that's straight out of a Testors little square bottle, bought at Hobby Lobby. The top is MM German Silver from the bigger bottle.

I used MM thinner and my new Paasche Talon with the medium needle.

Thank you John!

G

Edited by Agent G

Agent G, do you have plans to build a CHP mustang as well? I know they used those beautiful little notchbacks as well in the 90's and early 2000's. that would be a sweet little addition to your HP collection. That is if you haven't already built one.

When I lived in Cali I loved seeing those ever so rare CHP notchbacks. Some seriously b.a. Equipment. I will say that your NHP notchback looks most cool. I have only seen a few of those in person and those too are some awesome machines.

Nice work so far sir.

Thank you sir!

This was the end of my work week so I sat down and assembled all those little things I've been working on.

I assembled the dash. Notice I added the upper level to the radio.

DSCF4355_zps8df00c67.jpg

DSCF4357_zps99ba2b34.jpg

Gotsta have radar out the back too.

DSCF4364_zps230ff77e.jpg

I worked on the light bar legs as well.

DSCF4354_zps676377a6.jpg

G

Very nice. I do know that NHP and CHP were the pioneers of rear facing radar. That comes in handy especially for NHP seeing as how they are one of only a couple of states that are allowed to hide while shooting tailpipes. I don't know what the other state(s) are but I know there is more than one.

All those tedious little wires on the dash turned out great. Looking good so far sir.

What's funny is CHP didn't use radar until the early 90's. Until then state law prevented it's use. Rear facing antenna were more of a safety factor for the officer than anything else. The front antenna was on the push bumper of the 'stangs successor, the 9c1 Caprice.

What's also funny is the fact NHP can "hide" while conducting speed enforcement. Have you travelled out here? In southern Nevada the visibility is mostly measured in tens of miles at ground level. Can you say hide in plain sight?

Missouri makes no distinction on covert enforcement either. We parked on the shoulder, side street, alleys and hid. Of course urban police traffic divisions are quite a bit different from HPs.

G