Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nevada Highway Patrol Mustang

Agent G

Even if "Running Code*," no responder/driver is exempt from careful and safe driving, or effective defensive driving.

The bottom line is this: You have to maintain control of your emergency vehicle and avoid any problems. If you have a problem, it's your fault; 'Running Code' or not.

The responder/driver's legal and moral responsibility was greater with each level of response and with every mile per hour above 'reasonable and prudent.' And, as the trained professional, he/she was EXPECTED to not be in a collision.

These statements, taken out of the narrative, are the heart of the subject.

When we meet next remind me to relate 34 years of horror stories regarding inattentive motorists. I will be talking all day, I do anyway, and will not repeat a story.

G

Yeah, baby! Coming along. Looks suspiciously like a Nev HP car!

Shhhhh don't tell anyone, it's a surprise.

John there's something about that Ivory/black that just screams "trooper". LOL

Thanks Jonathan, I'm getting there.

G

Looks awesome! Radio and shotgun are spot on.

As a retired Florida deputy and now Iowa firefighter, I too could tell story upon story. Surprisingly, up here, we do get most folks to move over with out much trouble. In Florida, short of using the PIT maneuver, they'd stay put. Very aggravating.

Oh, and we were 10-18 for a full code.

Since there are so many officers in this thread, I have to ask...

Nothing against Police officers....

BUT why is it they are some of the WORST drivers out there CHOOSING to only RARELY use their turn signals? Aren't they supposed to be setting the example for the rest of us?

That is one thing that irks me to no end.

Edited by Abell82

Hey, Jason.

I'm on board with you there. It galls me, too.

But I've got to say . . . it's a generational thing. I see it all the time here ~ with the young officers, not much with the older officers.

-BUT- It's not just the law enforcement officers, it's a lot ~ okay, most ~ of the younger people who have entered the motoring public since driver's education classes were abandoned.

Not just signaling, but lane usage, and merging/yielding, too. The basic rules of the road, motoring skills, protocols, and courtesies that were taught to most if not all youngsters before they received licenses.

Unfortunately, there isn't an emphasis or requirement for driver education training before they hit the streets. And, law enforcement personnel come from that same mass of people.

Yes, I agree. It's aggravating. But I don't know what the "fix" is, because driver education ain't coming back. The public schools don't have enough money for driver education once they finish with political correctness and sensitivity training classes.

Hey, Jason.

I'm on board with you there. It galls me, too.

But I've got to say . . . it's a generational thing. I see it all the time here ~ with the young officers, not much with the older officers.

-BUT- It's not just the law enforcement officers, it's a lot ~ okay, most ~ of the younger people who have entered the motoring public since driver's education classes were abandoned.

Not just signaling, but lane usage, and merging/yielding, too. The basic rules of the road, motoring skills, protocols, and courtesies that were taught to most if not all youngsters before they received licenses.

Unfortunately, there isn't an emphasis or requirement for driver education training before they hit the streets. And, law enforcement personnel come from that same mass of people.

Yes, I agree. It's aggravating. But I don't know what the "fix" is, because driver education ain't coming back. The public schools don't have enough money for driver education once they finish with political correctness and sensitivity training classes.

I have to agree that a lot of people do it.

However when an officer in a marked car does it, it sends a clear message. " Look at me, I don't know the rules of the road, but here I am trying to enforce them." Problem is if the officer doesn't carte, or worse realize they are breaking the law, then that make them incompetent. How incompetent is that officer? Should that person be an officer? How safe can an incompetent or stupid person make our streets? See the chain of thought here?

Based on that logic, should anyone be allowed to drive? If competency is ascessed on behavior behind the wheel of a vehicle, then most of the population of Clark County, Nevada requires some form of mental health treatment.

Cops are held to a higher standard and thus should be the first to "follow the rules". Unsafe driving is grounds for discipline, not a total re-evaluation of an officer's competency.

I was a boss for half of my career. Operation of police vehicles was of primary concern. I couldn't be everywhere all the time, but if I saw something wrong, I jumped on it. I sent one guy to an EVOC refresher, and I went with him. I realized that I hadn't had the course in a while, (back then it wasn't mandatory) so I went too. That's just me, but I refer back to Danno's post. Lack of pre-licensing training has not helped the situation at all.

G

99.9% finished. After a long work week, I sat down last night and put the final touches on the car.

DSCF4394_zpsf4f3e324.jpg

DSCF4393_zps1786d8fd.jpg

DSCF4392_zps27def717.jpg

DSCF4391_zps6a5db160.jpg

DSCF4395_zps33b2a872.jpg

I perused a lot of pics and so scratched out the push bumpers. These were unique in their shape, but not all that hard to replicate. Some .080 bar stock, round rod, square rod and sheet were all I used.

DSCF4398_zps31f2249a.jpg

This will be in "Under Glass" soon.

G