Model Cars Magazine Forum

Comparison Revell Shelby GT500 kits?

Going to do a 2007 GT500 build, so doing some homework first

I found only the KA photoetch kit listed for this kit, so will probably grab that

Instead of sending for & buying all three kits to compare, let's get some feedback form you guys that likely already have 2 or 3 of these kits, their differences and give review of them

I've read through just about every post I can find here - and elsewhere - already, but nothing directly speaking of comparison between them

Sometimes the Revell of Germany kits can be different than the North America versions, sometimes they are the same!? I can only guess that's the case here, but don't know for certain

The KR version says re-tooled, but is it any better?

The wheels of the 85-2097 seem only fair - and will de-chrome them - but the tires are just poorly IMO

What's been a good source of alternates?

Weigh in and let me know what differences and insight you have that is helpful!

#07243 - a Revell of Germany release
#85-2097 - a Revell of North America release
#85-4226 - a re-release/re-tooling from Revell of North America, but is the KR version wheels and spec
There's a 1/24 Testors die-cast version too, but not sure if the wheels/tires are any better, and most likely the interior & engine is more basic
Thanks!

post-12003-0-68725900-1374278470_thumb.j

post-12003-0-80763400-1374278476_thumb.j

post-12003-0-43584100-1374278485_thumb.j

post-12003-0-31724300-1374278490_thumb.j

Edited by Jeremy Jon

Good suggestion from Jonathan, that apparently these Pegasus tires will fit over the Revell GT500 wheels, the tread pattern shows as Michelin Sports, I'm not sure of the sidewall detail without some closer-up photos

The Shelby wore as production tires the Goodyear F1, but if the Michelin's were an option, would be a good alternate

Searching through some models kits, I came across the Revell '98 Corvette C5 kit(s), which still wore sidewall detailing - not sure why Revell chose to stop doing that, as the Corvette C6 kit tires are like the Shelby, without any sidewall markings

Anyways, the '98 'vette kit tread pattern is not exactly the same as the Goodyears used on the Shelby actual, might be close enough for some, and definitely has sidewall markings

I'll have to see yet if they fit correctly, but even then some small modifications might be necessary

post-12003-0-65315900-1374286916_thumb.j

post-12003-0-14865400-1374287040_thumb.j

post-12003-0-90596000-1374287130_thumb.j

post-12003-0-48434300-1374287146_thumb.j

post-12003-0-44370400-1374287157_thumb.j

Going to order #85-2097 kit off evilBay now, and will post some further review comments when arrived about detailing or fixes ;)

Can anyone comment first hand on the #07243 Revell of Germany release kit?

Same as #85-2097, or different?? If so, then how?? :huh:

Thanks Tomo

Ah yes, that was a pic from online search, with close-up of the tires for illustration only - and a very nice box-stock build BTW! :)

From some further searching pics online, it appears they are infact the same kit, from what I can see, which begs the question "why the huge price difference between the 2 kits?"

I was speaking to a friend yesterday, connected with Monogram, and said the principle reason they have gone without sidewall details, has nothing to do with cost or capability in doing so, but is strictly a licensing issue, and the insane fees that are being demanded of them

The situation is that most large companies have outsourced many legal services now, including their trademark and copyright legals interests, and so where as previously there was some reasonable accommodation given to scale model makers - and the realistic costs involved - the new contracted legal service are simply outsourced lawyers, who could care less about reasonable costs, or profit margins of the scale model company .....*&#$^* lawyers again!

Edited by Jeremy Jon

Don't know how much it'll add to your discussion at this point, but there's one thing it might be useful to point out -

The tires in the KR (and the Dodge Challenger and Magnum) come from Revell's Chevy SSR kit. For whatever reason, Revell used the larger rear SSR tires - but the smaller front ones will stretch over the KR's wheels and look MUCH better in sidewall profile.

The "California Wheels" editiions of the '56 and '57 Chevy kits come with those smaller tires, so if you have one and build it stock, you might not even waste anything to use its custom tires on the Shelby.

Don't know how much it'll add to your discussion at this point, but there's one thing it might be useful to point out -

The tires in the KR (and the Dodge Challenger and Magnum) come from Revell's Chevy SSR kit. For whatever reason, Revell used the larger rear SSR tires - but the smaller front ones will stretch over the KR's wheels and look MUCH better in sidewall profile.

The "California Wheels" editiions of the '56 and '57 Chevy kits come with those smaller tires, so if you have one and build it stock, you might not even waste anything to use its custom tires on the Shelby.

Good idea there Chuck!

"Should" being the operative word there Jonathan, we can't really know unless comparing kits side by side ...but if they are, it sure doesn't justify the premium price the Revell of Germany kit sells for, typically $15-$25 more from listings I've seen lately!

From Zoom Zoom's review and article of the GT500KR in the magazine whose name must not be mentioned (06/2009 and 08/2009 issues), what you get in the KR kit are:

- New wheels, albeit in 20" vs the real car's 18"

- New hood

- Larger front brakes with ventilation holes and Brembo decals

What you don't get:

- The cold air intake (you get the same air box as in the regular Shelby)

- Proper low profile tires

I bought two RoG GT500 back when Revell kits were really cheap in here. I originally planned to use the engine for the Jada Ford GT but that is put on the backburner now, maybe we can work out something if you are interested in it.

What you don't get:

- The cold air intake (you get the same air box as in the regular Shelby)

That issue to Revell's credit was death with, later runs of that kit have the right intake and to reflect those changes the box art was altered too

I have both versions.02324d74-0544-46ed-8960-a471725da298_zps

Edited by Luc Janssens

Sorry I just saw these replies

Thanks for the more detailed info and photos, Silvester & Luc!! :)

Silvester if you have a photo of the RoG kit contents for us, that would be great for comparisons sake

I'll post up some kit photos & detail stuff has now arrived

Silvester, I'll PM you on FB :)