Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1957 Ford "Fireball" Roberts

I haven't seen a review of this kit yet...so

I was at the hobby shop not really to buy anything...but you know how that works. I spotted the Revell "Fireball" Ford, liked the look and brought it home.

Here is the box:

C9884352-5F49-4471-A4D0-82F5AAD0B67F-138

Instruction sheet for engine - completes the Paxton blower assembly:

4B096539-1525-4D5E-9F7F-B66103C65793-138

New suspension parts (double shocks):

4B821442-BE9B-42FB-8C13-601DFB36120F-138

Interior changes:

708B207C-F40B-4105-BF54-FE4494B940A8-138

Decal sheet:

1606F2CE-7F65-44E9-813E-5C0B2CEC010A-138

Eric can we get pictures of the parts trees? What did you think of the kit

Ill post some sprue this afternoon.

The kit APPEARS as high quality as the special edition - but, I have only looked at it as I am still trying to finish the '90 Mustang...

Does the kit seem accurate to the "real" car ?

I have no idea. Researching online brings up a plethora of choices but few original photos of the car - it's a bit of a quandary, though. There was a "restored" version at auction, but there was no verification it was authentic.

It does look close to this replica...more HERE

That eye loop/tie down system would be cool to replicate in scale!

Seems to be a lot of flash on the chrome sprue considering this was a new tool.

First thing that came to my mind too. The chrome from the stock kit was pretty much flash free. That one looks like a sprue from a kit with a lot of wear and reissues under its belt. Odd considering how crisp and pristine the rest of the parts look.

Edited by Toner283

Probably because that modified parts tree is shared w/ the upcoming MK police car issue..

I would have thought that, too, Rob. But the parts tree shown appears the same as the corresponding tree in the stock issue already out . . . except for the radio.

Curious.

I would have thought that, too, Rob. But the parts tree shown appears the same as the corresponding tree in the stock issue already out . . . except for the radio.

Curious.

Yes, it's modified from the stock issue because they added the radio. They probably ran the stock car kits and police kits at the same time and wanted to minimize the # of different trees..

Edited by Rob Hall

Yes, it's modified from the stock issue because they added the radio. They probably ran the stock car kits and police kits and the same time and wanted to minimize the # of different trees..

That would make some sense.

Yes, it's modified from the stock issue because they added the radio. They probably ran the stock car kits and police kits at the same time and wanted to minimize the # of different trees..

Or....there was some "miscommunication" which could result in the radio being absent in the police car release....

B)

Or....there was some "miscommunication" which could result in the radio being absent in the police car release....

B)

The police car release hasn't hit the streets yet. I'm sure the radio will be in it. It was not in the original, factory-stock issue.

I was just surprised to see the radio show up in the NASCAR issue . . . but Rob makes a good point: They no doubt ran the NASCAR issue and the police car issue at the same time (since they're being issued/released within days of one another), so they couldn't waste the time/expense of running the same sprue with and without the radio for the two issues.

With that said, I'll say again ~ any NASCAR builders who don't want the radio are welcome to let me dispose of their unused radios for them! PM me. ;)

Nice looking kit.

Surprising they have the 'police radio' in the stock car version.

(If you don't need the radio for your vintage NASCAR Ford, feel free to PM me. I can help you be rid of it. ;) )

Maybe the police radio is for the "Bootlegger" option on the kit. B)

Thanks for the review! Not really into NASCAR kits, but this one is cool!

BTW, someone on Spotlight asked about this kit and I posted about the review here. The posting disappeared. Does this board now sell kits? :rolleyes:

Nah..anything to do with the Spotlight Hobbies board is a can of worms, best to not get into it..

That's exactly what they did. MK's Police Car version should start shipping next week.

With the modular design of molds nowadays they can "turn on" and "turn off" parts as they need them by pulling the inserts out or turning them so the runners don't line up (some of the Japanese companies - Bandai especially - use little "valves" they can turn in the parts runners to block of entire areas of part trees). Back in the old days they would just make a spot weld to block off the mold runner, then they'd grind the weld out if they needed the part again.