Model Cars Magazine Forum

help on makeing t-tops

I tried this once at 12 and ruined a perfectly good kit. Now I know better. I use masking tape to cover the roof making sure the tape is snug to the roof where the "glass" will go. Draw out the shape of the T with a flexible ruler and a mechanical pencil. Once you've got the rough shapes drawn on remove the tape and place on a mirror, piece of glass or cutting mat. Here you can refine the shape of the tops. Mark them left and right (trust me on this :P ). With the shape drawn get a fresh razor knife, a steel straightedge and a box of band-aids. If the band aids are in reach odds are you won't cut yourself, but be carefull anyway. ;)

Cut the shapes of the T-tops free from the rest of the tape and reaffix them to the roof. These will be the guides to cut out the T-tops. Use whatever method you are comfortable with to cut them out. Back of a blade, dental pick, whatever to scribe around the tape. Most people make the mistake of rushing this step. Work slowly and at first you are just lightly scratching the surface. It's tedious but well worth the effort. After a few passes you'll see the groove getting bigger until it pops free.

Clean the edges of the new T with an emery board to keep them straight and sand in whatever style corners it has, rounded or sharp. Clean the straight edges of the opening the same way and use rolled sandpaper for rounded corners.

At this time you have simple T-tops in solid plastic. Evergreen or plastruct sheet and strip will build a clean, proper looking framework for them to rest on. Cut a sheet of plastic larger than the tops but the same shape and glue it into the opening. Then cut it back out leaving about a 1.5 mm ledge all the way around.

For clear T-tops you can use the T's for bucks to vaccu-form them or have them resin cast in clear or clear tint. I can help you with that.

Edited by MAGNUM4342