Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nissan R89C

sportandmiah

A kit from Tamiya, and I'm going to add SM Carbon Fiber Templates as well as Studio 27 Photo Etch kit.

Because there are so many etched parts and carbon fiber decals, I wanted to label and color code each one in the instructions. There are numerous etched parts that require multiple steps, and of course are not numerical in order. This has taken a couple hours but will greatly benefit when it's time to put pieces together.

20130722_001740_zps85e332b0.jpg

20130722_001839_zps07db761c.jpg

20130722_001925_zps8b8c9156.jpg

20130722_010851_zps0779f8dc.jpg

20130722_010911_zps3d4ee428.jpg

Spent the past couple days applying CF decals to the appropriate parts. Generous amounts of Micro Sol was applied to let the decals conform to the odd shapes and contours. Ironically, the most complex decals went on very smoothly without a hitch. But the 2 or 3 decals on flat surfaces gave me a lot of problems. The parts dried in a dehydrator for a few hours, and Testors Lacquer Gloss was airbrushed on to seal the decals.

20130724_201131_zps1f62e199.jpg

20130724_201345_zps05754c2d.jpg

20130724_201356_zps4c044042.jpg

20130724_201402_zps10de9467.jpg

20130724_201414_zps949054f8.jpg

20130724_2021520_zps7edb4989.jpg

20130724_202201_zpsd299bfcb.jpg

20130724_202331_zps8bd03817.jpg

When you prepped and marked the direction sheet, what did the different colors denote? I have a keen interest in watching this build.

I have this and several other kits that will require CF and have never used them. It looks like you've applied to the bare plastic?

When you prepped and marked the direction sheet, what did the different colors denote? I have a keen interest in watching this build.

I have this and several other kits that will require CF and have never used them. It looks like you've applied to the bare plastic?

Thanks men for the compliments.

Mike,

I outlined GREEN for every kit part that needed Photo Etch. This was important because I wanted to be sure I placed the etchings in the correct order. One part may need 3 etchings to complete the part, and those 3 etchings were not numerically ordered or placed next to each other on the fret. An example was etchings #3 + #27 + #18 needed to be built in that order to complete one part. With all the small parts, I wanted to keep track of each part, and to accurately place each etching. Probably a little overkill, but I strive to make each car better by avoiding past mistakes.

Thanks for looking!

This build is looking great. Love the carbon fiber work you have done. I have this kit in my collection and its been waiting to be build for many years lol. Maybe one dayI will get to it. Looking forwArd to seeing what you do to it.you are off to a great start.

I have one of these myself I am building. I've been slowly machining parts on the lathe for it. Still need the carbon fiber decals but I have teh Scale Motorsport photoetch for it already.

Will be watching this one with lots of interest. I grew up around Nissan/Datsun with my father being a mechanic for them for 30 years, so my interest always heads to them anytime someone builds one lol. Good luck with it, what you have so far is coming out great.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I too plan on turning some parts as well, but I need to grind my HSS bits first. I haven't used my Sherline In a few years so it will be nice to machine again. Can we see some pics of what you are makimg?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks boys. Jonathon, I'm sure your skills are equal if not better than mine.

I'm taking my time with this build and trying to replicate the engine bay wire for wire. We will see. Reference pictures for this engine are few and far between, and no two are the same.