Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford C-800 With Unique Flatbed Load.

I started this several weeks ago and decided to go ahead and share with all... I built the trailer several years ago and finally decided on a load. I started with the C-600 stake bed kit that still contained the C-900 frame rails and 5th wheel parts.

I built the tractor pretty much box stock but scratchbuilt the 4" dual (straight) exhaust and the 18" toolboxes with Don Mills slamlocks. I also am fabricating a split back bench seat and am working on some interior details; rechargeable Mag-Lite, briefcase, Indiana road map, etc...

The load is 12 AMT miniature model boxes... AMT tractor, AMT trailer and AMT load. Just think, large scale model kits being transported to a Local Hobby Shop near you.... I still need to build the ratchet straps for the load, two per stack... The cab will be two-tone, Testors Colors By Boyd Sunburst with white roof panel and body inset...

Here's where I am currently. I hope to have paint on the cab by the end of the week...

evcspi.jpg

I'm calling it a C-800 because that's what AMT engraved on the door emblem...

ezgzdv.jpg

I'm going to use a Scale Motorsports Upholstery, American Plaid decal sheet to add some detail to the grey insert on the seat...

x6iioi.jpg

Jim B, Yes, that's going to be a rechargeable Maglite on a charging base. It's a bit overscale but looks fine once it's in its place. I plan on mounting it on the rear shelf behind the passenger seat where it'd be in reach of the driver.

OK, small update, here. I'm working on this one at the same time as the silver/blue K-100...

I started painting the cab, this morning. The white is on. Once this dries, I'll mask and shoot the Sunburst Orange. Loud paint job? Yes! I'm building this as I would if it were a 1:1 that I was restoring to make a living with. Bright colors means visiblity... Or, it should, anyway... Speaking of loud, the exhaust is simulated 4" straight pipe... Coming off of a 534 Super Duty, this'd sound really mean under a load. Thankfully, Indiana is really lax on its exhaust regulations. Like a Harley, I want them to hear me coming as well as see me.

27yn9yu.jpg

I have to say, I'm loving my new airbrush and compressor... This'll be the second paint job I've laid on with it and I haven't had the first sag, run or dry spot.

Stay tuned!

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool! I just love red and white on anything, especially on a truck. I find it so satisfying when I remove the masking tape and the paint hasn't bled onto the other color. An airbrush really makes all the difference in the world when making those two-tone paint schemes. Better control on the flow, thinner coats than with a rattle can, the paint dries quicker... The molded body details just pop... No contest. Very nice Ford you're building there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, All! This and the K-123 are on hold while my fiancé and I complete our move into our new home. Luckily, I have less than a city block to move all my models and stuff. I can do that in multiple trips instead of packing it all and hoping nothing gets trashed... The really good news is that, once more, I'll have an entire room to call a workshop... Let the modeling marathon begin.