Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50 Oldsmobile Mild Custom -Finished-

W-409

Thanks Rob! This is a great kit for sure and your plans sound really interesting. Post pics of your project when you get started with it, I can't wait for that as I really like that Taildragger stance too.

This is a cool car that doesn't need much Customizing if not wanted, though it can be Customized radically and it will still look good.

Today I started polishing the body. As usual, I started from the roof. Silver isn't the easiest color to show the shine, but I think it turned out pretty good. It was also neat to polish when the paint job was a lot smoother than what I had to deal with on my '69 Charger Daytona build. I hope I can do some more polishing tomorrow.

a6157129-61b4-437e-88f9-9c521ad524da.jpg

9fad931e-6d41-4e6e-b23c-a9014e9e4aba.jpg

Thanks Everyone!

Polishing this one isn't too easy because the body has lots of tricky shapes that make it easier to go through the paint. Luckily there isn't that much orange peel so the paint polishes out pretty good & so far I'm happy with the results, too.

I have been polishing the body and it is getting there slowly. I haven't had much building time, but next week is vacation so maybe I can get this one polished early next week. Anyway, today I was able to polish the hood. It turned out good and that red paint sure looks good when polished. Hood wasn't the easiest one to polish either, especially that front end was really tricky.

b189da50-295c-4a5c-af93-3430ac870ad2.jpg

Edited by W-409

Are you using your finger and a towel, Niko, or one of those buffing pads?

Jim - I'm using this kind of a polishing set that I bought a couple of years ago:

micro-mesh-polishing-kits.jpg

The kit includes 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000 and 8000 grit polishing cloths. I have never used that 2400 grit, though, as I think 3200 is rough enough to get rid of orange peel and it doesn't go through the clear as easily as the 2400 would. That white bottle is somekind of a Surface Restoral liquid that is applied after 8000 grit and then I finish everything with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish wax.

It works really well and it's surprisingly easy to use. It just takes a lot of time to polish one of these bodies properly. :D But as you know, Shiny Rules! B)

Niko,you might want to try starting your polishing with either the 4000 or 6000 papers.If the surface isn't leveling to your satisfaction you can always drop back a grit.By starting your polishing with the smoother paper you won't risk burning through the finish as easily as with the rougher grit paper.

Thanks everyone for the comments, they are appreciated!

Jim S: That's a cool set, the paint job should turn out even better when you're able to polish up to 12000 grit. No wonder your paint jobs are always so nice! I've tried that Dremel method too. It's not easy, but it can be done with good results.

Gene: I'm really happy how it is turning out, too. I've done better engine work, but the body and paint is turning out pretty good so far... B) Hopefully I will get it done.

Jim D: I like the color choice as well. These two colors fit very nicely together.

Tony: I guess I would go crazy if I started polishing orange peel with 4000 grit cloth. :D I think 3200 is just perfect for the first grit, it smooths out orange peel quite easily, but it doesn't go through the paint immediately if there is enough clear. I think it's really easy to control the polishing when starting with 3200 grit.

Well I'm happy to say it - the body is now polished. It took me pretty much time, but the end result is quite good. Luckily I didn't go through the paint at any spot, here it would have happened easier than on my previous builds because this body has lots of round shapes. Tomorrow starts a real pain....BMF!

Edit: There seems to be a problem with Photobucket. :angry: Gotta re-try later with the pics. :wacko:

Now it looks like Photobucket is working again so I was able to upload the pics & post them here. As I said earlier, next thing to do is adding BMF and I bet that will be tricky. I still need to clean up excess wax from door lines and other tricky spots, just in case you wonder what those white spots are.

9b617cbb-188b-4ba3-98e9-36ddb61fee0b.jpg

a3538230-c755-49ed-a2f5-02314da3d35f.jpg

08fe9a20-da73-4332-8c58-503dff33950f.jpg

15a18c96-3f10-4f5b-b03e-3eb749137260.jpg

7e9bb9f3-adb9-4b04-95c6-e36aa5ea02d3.jpg

Thanks Carl, Peter, Ben and Jim! I appreciate the kind words.

I'm happy how the paint looks as well. That color looks good & paint job is not too bad either. It has a couple of mistakes for sure, but luckily they're not very big.

Today I put some BMF on the body. It was pretty tricky to do, especially those side trims on front & rear fenders. It was hard to get the foil cut that straight on such a long chrome trim. There are a couple of wrinkles in that BMF, but it doesn't look too bad, especially in person.

959dd038-918a-4140-b1ae-0a3b16f3617d.jpg

8fa02cb4-fac0-4c93-8ff3-8e69093a67f1.jpg

4818866c-4722-4416-8d8a-257adb58cef6.jpg

f7210389-8bd3-404b-a646-1feaf2e6284d.jpg

Next thing was to start making new exhaust for this. This kit comes with an exhaust with only one exit from back of the car and that didn't sound good to me. So I bent two exhaust pipes from styrene rod and they end after going through the frame. I had to make some mufflers as well and I thought the original muffler from the kit could be turned into two a bit smaller mufflers for these pipes. So I cut the muffler in two pieces and added a round piece of sheet styrene to the other end to match the other.

caaefa41-b055-45ac-9ee2-138677c7f20d.jpg

158a8e45-d3db-45ce-b31d-67f1a87e8bbe.jpg

805891b3-e9b0-44de-a5e7-0b0f7fb44b0b.jpg

2dfb610e-52fd-4241-add4-2cc56c27c30f.jpg

I didn't like kit's battery...So I took one from my parts box. It needed minor lowering, but my razor saw fixed that problem easily.

885ed8c7-fc90-43be-8664-92dfa5099441.jpg

I also went to the garage and shot some white paint on windshield wiper liquid container and grey Primer on that X-part of the frame. It will be painted tomorrow.

516e4413-978f-407d-981e-c471d70e24b3.jpg

I will sometimes cut BMF with a straight edge and fresh blade and carefully apply to the top line of the trim. Then I only have to worry about cutting a good line on the bottom.

Thanks Jim - That is a great tip, I just wonder why I haven't thought about that before... :huh: I will for sure try that next time.

Today I've done lots of little detail work and it looks like I need to get it done tomorrow to take it in the show with me. It should be quite easy, especially as I'm on vacation tomorrow. I also painted inside of the body with flat black and installed the windows. I didn't want to install those little vent windows as I think it looks cleaner like that and I've seen it done on many Period Correct Custom Cars. Then I installed sun visors, rear view mirror and interior light on place.

41da50d6-0e03-413e-9d54-042be7178dc5.jpg

b483db35-ac42-4b78-bb93-f4dfb1c88c2e.jpg

b6f6d46a-ca28-4d2b-ad1a-4b87cb37a426.jpg

Battery was glued on place as well. I connected those battery cables, they are made from Scale Dreams' wire and those connectors are Detail Master Photo Etch parts. Battery mount was a real pain, though... I had to dig it out from my floor many times and of course my first try wasn't succesful either. :D But finally I did it.

8c2ec9dd-9a83-45dd-b76b-323e2639f90c.jpg

Other little things I did include painting that X-part of the frame, installing a driveshaft, adding generator wires and painting all other parts that are still missing to get them assembled tomorrow.

I will sometimes cut BMF with a straight edge and fresh blade and carefully apply to the top line of the trim. Then I only have to worry about cutting a good line on the bottom.

Try the "painters tape" technique. I live by it! Just let your blade run along the edge of the tape. works great, especially for long straight sections where the trim is not well defined. SteveBMFtrick002_zps857591db.jpg

Tim: Thanks! I think engine detailing is probably one of the funniest parts in model building and that's why I usually try to detail engine bays as well as I can with my skills.

Steven: Thanks, that's another good tip! I will definitely try that as well on my next project. When looking at your builds, it sure does work.

Lee: Thanks, I appreciate the kind words! I have to say that I'm really happy with this one as well.

I got the Oldsmobile finished today. Here is the last set of WIP pictures & one teaser shot of the finished build. I will shoot more photos on Sunday after that show if the weather permits and post them in Under Glass. I have to say that I like how it turned out, it looks just like I planned originally.

First, here are two pictures of my new exhaust that I got painted & installed. Exhaust tips are plastic tubing so I didn't have to drill any holes for those tips. I wish I could hear how the Rocket sounds with these exhaust pipes!

f85c171c-80c6-426d-a255-b393bf10713f.jpg

3e8908cd-cca5-4383-9614-36e4fb8105b9.jpg

Then here are two pics with body and chassis together. They fit pretty nicely together from front, but some minor work had to be done in the back as body was sitting a bit too high on the chassis. I added small styrene blocks to wrong side of the body that made the body to sit low enough on the chassis. After that everything fit perfectly and after lots of finishing touches the last picture is a teaser shot of finished model. See you soon in Under Glass.

f746bb0c-cc74-4db7-98cb-08e07ca6b941.jpg

9d61c8f4-d444-4606-be1d-0e6669ecd8d1.jpg

6d4efebb-bb6e-40af-a49e-dae6f2a3d38d.jpg

The weather was really good today so I was able to shoot some pics of the finished Oldsmobile. They can be seen in Under Glass - section Here.

Thanks to everyone who has been following this one and especially for those who have posted comments during the build. It was a lot of fun and now I can continue working on a couple of other projects...Stay tuned.