Model Cars Magazine Forum

Russian dash-cams

All I can say is...

1. Nobody had ever better complain about Boston drivers again!

2. Gvien the rate of alcoholism in Russia (very high), I wonder how many of those people were blitzed?

3. I noticed a lot of the pedestrians were none too smart, either. Were they also drunk?

4. Now I know why all the pretty Russian girls want to come here to find husbands- it's a matter of survival!

Charlie Larkin

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1FzYg?autoplay=1&modestbranding=1&rel=0&showinfo=0

From what I understand, the reason why there is so many dash cams in Russia is to prove fault in accidents. I guess this happens so much, the dash cam is your only "insurance" as to who did what or didn't do, at the time of these incredible accidents. I have watched dozens if not hundreds of these Russian dash cam YouTube videos. It amazes me as to the survival rate of the people involved. And the luck...

Amazing.

I've watched those videos and I just sit there shaking my head at the incredibly stupid things I see drivers doing over there! You couldn't pay me to get in a car and go anywhere if I were in Russia!!!!! China is really bad as well! Then you have the Arabs that are into drifting at 100 miles an hour with ten people in the car, two of them sitting on the window ledge and then the car loses control and flips!!! Either that or they lose control and take out fifty people standing right on the edge of the street?!?!?!

That's a good one.

In either the first or second clip where a car hits an old man sitting at a bus stop, did anyone notice that it was a cop that got out of the car?

In February of this year, a meteor landed in the large Russian city of Chelyabinsk. That too was captured by a dash cam. Odd that they left that one out.

The Russian dashcams are due to the rampant insurance fraud. Pedestrians throw themselves at cars. You can find videos of people diving on car hoods, etc.

I'm not sure how you decided that the majority of Russians are alcoholics. That's like saying the majority of Americans in the South are inbred retards.

For both Russia and China, these are countries where cars were scarce and nobody had drivers licenses. Suddenly they become prosperous and everyone gets a car. The problem is that nobody there has any driving experience, kinda like a country of 16 year olds!

The Russian dashcams are due to the rampant insurance fraud. Pedestrians throw themselves at cars. You can find videos of people diving on car hoods, etc.

I'm not sure how you decided that the majority of Russians are alcoholics. That's like saying the majority of Americans in the South are inbred retards.

I think you will find that Russia and the former Soviet bloc countries and republics are at the top of world alcohol consumption rates. This does not include my house, or the US would rank higher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

Edited by sjordan2

From what I understand, the reason why there is so many dash cams in Russia is to prove fault in accidents. I guess this happens so much, the dash cam is your only "insurance" as to who did what or didn't do, at the time of these incredible accidents. I have watched dozens if not hundreds of these Russian dash cam YouTube videos. It amazes me as to the survival rate of the people involved. And the luck...

Amazing.

I was thinking this exact thing while watching the first video...

So, I leaned two things, here: One; There are no tests or Drivers Ed requirements to be able to drive in Russia. Two, Russia has nothing like the DOT to inspect and keep Commercial Vehicles safe. Notice how many were missing wheels, soon to be missing wheels or had axle shaft sticking into the next lane?

I may never complain about Stupid Drivers again...

I have a lot of friends from Soviet Armenia and many friends in the Armenian community who grew up in or lived in Russia and the Ukraine. While alcohol consumption there is indeed quite high (I'm looked at very strangely as an Armenian who doesn't really drink- even for the ones born here like myself), and the reports I have heard of the rates of drunkenness over there is astounding. Alcoholism is a major problem there, as Skip noted, and people I know have seen first-hand.

Also, note that 9 of the top 10 countries in Skip's list are either ex-Soviet states or Eastern Bloc nations.

I rest my case based on emperical evidence.

Charlie Larkin

So if I studied the U Tube footage posted by American (or Australian or English or...) drivers i"d find hours of footage of safe driving with no incidents?

Yes it's entertaining to watch but basing your opinion of a nations driving record from U Tube is like deciding you don't like American cooking based on McDonalds.

I've watched those videos and I just sit there shaking my head at the incredibly stupid things I see drivers doing over there! You couldn't pay me to get in a car and go anywhere if I were in Russia!!!!! China is really bad as well! Then you have the Arabs that are into drifting at 100 miles an hour with ten people in the car, two of them sitting on the window ledge and then the car loses control and flips!!! Either that or they lose control and take out fifty people standing right on the edge of the street?!?!?!

And I suppose nobody that drives an automobile in America, drinks alcoholic & gets behind the wheel of said automobile? According to my source, Worlds Scariest/Wildest/ Police Videos, Americans are just as bad as most other countries in the World.

One shouldn't throw stones when one lives in a glass house....

Charlie I stand behind you. I Just came back from holidays in Cape Cod (spent a day Boston) . I don't think I saw one loonatic behind the wheel. I saw polite, courteous and respectful drivers, in fact in all of the USA. Your left lane law is excellent. When you travel to Canada, you must think we are rude. As well, I felt embarrassed when I returned to Home, after driving perfectly manicured highways, only to find overgrown ditches, with trash....and no one would get out of the way......If you come to Canada, excuse the mess, and the drivers.

And I suppose nobody that drives an automobile in America, drinks alcoholic & gets behind the wheel of said automobile? According to my source, Worlds Scariest/Wildest/ Police Videos, Americans are just as bad as most other countries in the World.

One shouldn't throw stones when one lives in a glass house....

Really?? Your talking about a television show showing police chases, some of which are from other countries. What we are talking about here is everyday people, not criminals trying to escape the law. These are people driving the streets of these countries every day causing crash after crash!!!!! i can show you fifty videos of horrible Russian drivers. I challenge you to show me that many from here in the US!