Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there any way to fix old rattle cans?

I punch holes in rattle cans all the time. In fact I do it so often I built a tool for it. Definitely safer and much more controlled. No, I won't build one for anyone else. Not willing to assume the liability for someone doing something stupid, like trying it on a can of bug spray.

fullshot_zps6644b9e8.jpg

sideshot_zps9f0e6575.jpg

Mike-I knew that I'd seen or heard of paint stores that offered to shake rattle cans. I was beginning to believe that I had dreamed that up. Thank you for your reply!!!

Pete- That contraption is brilliant!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Don't quote me (or do anything stupid based upon my analysis) but, it looks like Pete's contraption is similar a lobbed off piston rod end with a screw thread tapped into it. Pretty neat!

Well, I've seen my fair share of connecting rod ends, so it not to surprising that I would borrow some of the content. It is really a very common shape. I've seen a lot of bearings and other parts of machinery that are similar. I would bet there were probably 50 similar looking parts on a John Deere combine. In fact a lot of them had the treaded hole for a grease zerk. Main difference here is that I cut what looks like a keyway to let the pressure of the can escape.

Edited by Pete J.

All of this begs the question: Why doesn't Tamiya(and others) put there sprays in bottles... All colors and all types. :o:blink:

Probably because they need to be airbrushed. Lacquers don't really brush well. They flash to fast. I suspect that the airbrush paint market for lacquers is rather small.

...and all the major paint packagers (Testor's,Tamiya etc.) sell airbrushes. Go figure. :(

Well, airbrushes work with acrylics and they are more "human" friendly. Lacquers and VOC solvent based enamels are really tough on the respiratory system not to mention highly flammable. I suspect the VOC solvent based paints in airbrushes are really very limited. Look at a paint rack and you will see a ton of non-solvent based paints. Edited by Pete J.