Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making real wire wheels in all scales

Probably you have noticed this topic by member Curt Raitz

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81345

Curt re-discovered this old topic started in 2007 by member Yad' who left the forum obviously in 2008 http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6659&hl=%2Bmaking+%2Bwire+%2Bwheels#entry808443 His topic is about his technique of making wire wheels. Curt adopted Yad's technique with marginal modifications in his own a. m. topic.

This re-discovered technique is very similar to my obsolete technique described in the 1984 article of a German modeling magazine (depicted at the beginning of this topic). The results of my obsolete technique and Yad's technique are identical.

I did not explain my obsolete technique because though very simple its results are no match to my modern technique. As said:"When using the obsolete technique the spokes are applied directly to the plastic wheel halves. This technique is okay for very narrow rims as bikes, motor-cycles and and very few vintage cars, where all spokes are fixed very close to the centerline of the rim well , but on all other cars this looks completely unrealistic".

Now thanks to Curt you can compare the results of my simple obsolete and my present technique. Because Curt adopted Yad's technique without changing anything essential I recommend to choose the original link of the former member Yad' and Curt's link as well .

Here are some more pictures of wheels made with my present technique.

I think the additional effort of the present technique pays off.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78461
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80009
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81255
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81024 (scroll down for a second car)

Thanks Jurgen

I didn't know "diddely squat" about wire wheels until I started to make'm myself.

I got tired, just like everyone else of the "out-of-scale" wire wheels out there.

The method I've been using has the spokes centered between both rims, good for bikes and old dragsters

May not be accurate on some applications, but better than what comes in the box.

There are a multitude of wire wheel patterns and levels as Jurgen has pointed out

I'll be giving his method a try and see how it works

c'ya

Curt,

You are absolutely right. Any self-made wire wheel, even those made with the simplest techniques (up to now I saw about half a dozen more or less simple techniques), is better than the best plastic wheel.

I have no doubt that a modeler of your skills will master any technique.

As I said before (I think): If any questions occur please post or send a PM.

Here is another picture sent to a forum member showing the construction of the wheels

post-11944-0-75591800-1384204083_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant, now all I need to do is print it off, sit down, read thoroughly then think it through!!!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It appears after reading it through it might be easier to try and do it than explain it.

Very cool tip, thanks for posting it for us all to enjoy.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

attachicon.gifsmileys-winkende-046.gif

To be continued after supper

Please give me some response. I would like to know how many users will follow this topic. If anything is incomprehensible, if any questions occur please let me know as soon as possible. This contribution will require more than one evening, so I want to be sure that everything is understandable. Thanks!

I'm definitely interested Jurgen.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

It looks like I'm a few years too late in finding this tutorial. I've shied away from something as technical as this in the past but I plan to give it a try. I didn't read it completely through yet because I saw it was from 2013 but I'm going to go back through it and see what I can do. I can only hope that there may be others who have dealt with this topic before that can lead me to new information or techniques that would help in my quest to learn how to do this.

Thank you for the original post.

It looks like I'm a few years too late in finding this tutorial. I've shied away from something as technical as this in the past but I plan to give it a try. I didn't read it completely through yet because I saw it was from 2013 but I'm going to go back through it and see what I can do. I can only hope that there may be others who have dealt with this topic before that can lead me to new information or techniques that would help in my quest to learn how to do this.

Thank you for the original post.

PM sent

• 4 years later...

Thank you thank you thank you!

Today I picked up the old Italeri 540K and thought those wheels are not acceptable. A quick forum search led me to your 540K build, and then this thread. Where would we be without the internet?!

I also have the Revell 300 SLR and 300 Mille Miglia kits in my stash for years, but have held off building them because they deserve better wheels than what comes out of the box. I look forward to using your tutorial to make my own set.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...