Model Cars Magazine Forum

sliding doors

This isn't probably going to be much help, but looking carefully at and photographing some real vehicle sliding door mechanisms, and then building a scaled-down version of what you see is about the only way. Some tricky linkage to get it to swing out and clear the bodywork, and some intricate tracks for rollers to run in, but it's doable.

MVC008S-vi.jpgDSC00023-vi.jpg

I'd look at diecast to see how they did it. Much simpler than looking at a 1:1.

The Ford would have a top pin and one at the mid belt line. I don't think it had anything at the bottom. So you need to clean out the track at the top to allow for a small pin to slide in it. You can hold that in place by pushing upward when you add the center piece. Look for that hinge track at the center. Cut a slot there and insert a small nail or large pin from behind, it would glue into the back of the door, with the head being on the inside of the body.

Now the big question... would the slider on a 1:1 Ford actually clear that rear fender flair?

The year of ford that I'm doing had bottom track and mid door u type of bolt Haveing grew up with these old vans there was door extender (the u bolt ) Trying to figure out how to make it slide in the body it is alot like a mini van like the one in my drive way (duh) going to check it out I'll let you know how it works thanks guys

This isn't probably going to be much help, but looking carefully at and photographing some real vehicle sliding door mechanisms, and then building a scaled-down version of what you see is about the only way. Some tricky linkage to get it to swing out and clear the bodywork, and some intricate tracks for rollers to run in, but it's doable.

This is alot of help the problem is there is not many of these old girls around anymore>Looked at the system on our 05 Caravan slider top and bottom with a popout in the middle if you expand the side pic of the van you see the extended u-bolt that is where I think it will get tricky

Some Japanese Minibus kits came with operating sliding doors.

This was a (IIRC) Nitto kit. It's a Nissan Sunny Vanette.

Vannette07.jpg

SunnyVanWIP29-8-1005.jpg

The door has top and bottom pins mounted on arms that stick out into the body of the van (you can see them on the first pic as they are white against the black interior). These run in channels which kick inwards at the front to bring the leading edge of the door into the body when it reaches that last bit of travel. There is also a slot on the side of the body (see second pic) and a corresponding lug on the back of the door at the trailing edge. That lug has a pin through it and it slides in the slot. The pin stopping it from popping out.

HTH