Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP - 1956 DeSoto

Ramfins59

While I haven't yet completely finished all the builds for my Class of '58 mission, I've started a new Class of '56 mission. First entry is a '56 DeSoto promo that I picked up at the NNL East show back in April. I sanded off the mold lines and painted it a 2-Tone combination of Tamiya Tan and Red Brown.

56DESOTOBODYPAINTED1024x762_zps41005666.

It has been clearcoated with Duplicolor Acrylic Laquer clear, and I spent 2 days applying and trimming the BMF. I've gotta say that, while I don't usually have too much trouble doing BMF work on my models, this particular one was like a real summer treat...... It was a Beach and a Half...!!!!!!

56DESOTOCLEARCOATEDPOLISHEDampFOILED1102

56DESOTOCLEARCOATEDPOLISHEDampFOILED2102

56DESOTOCLEARCOATEDPOLISHEDampFOILED3102

The BMF left a lot of adhesive residue on the polished clearcoat after trimming which didn't totally come off with alcohol on a QTip. I'll have to try using a little Novus polish to get it off.

The interior pieces from The Modelhaus have soaked in Westley's, rinsed and air dried and are ready for painting and detailing.

More to follow as work progresses. Thanks for looking in on this, and as always, all comments are welcomed and appreciated.

You may laugh but when I was doing my signwriting apprenticeship my boss taught me that 'nose grease',the oily skin up the side of the nose is one of the best things removing paint spots and drips. I've always remembered that tip and use it often when building models.....Anyways the Desoto is looking great so far.

Thanks very much everyone. I appreciate all the encouragement. I remember the colors of the '59 Dodge Coronet I owned 10 years ago... a mustardy brown and light tan... I used to call it baby s--t brown... LOL. Some of the '50's cars came in pretty odd color combinations by today's standards. I think that's why I chose this color combo for this car.

Ray, I bought the BMF at NNL East back in April, but who knows how long the vendor may have had it.

Carl, I tried using my finger, which did take some of the residue off. The areas where the trimmed foil was is "dull" instead of being shiny after being polished. Going over those areas again with Novus should hopefully bring back the shine.

Codie, I've used "nose grease" to make flat paints on interiors take on a vinyl like sheen, but i never heard of your suggestion...!!

Thanks a lot Steve and Jim. My "long range plan" is to build as many of the cars for each year from the 1950's as I can. Between model kits, promo's and resin offerings, I've got a lot of work ahead of me. I'm looking forward to all of it.

Dan & Brizio, thanks very much for the encouragement.

Novus 2 polish worked on removing the remaining residue from the trimmed BMF. It's all shiny again. Now I'll start work on the interior. I gave the grille a blackwash with The Detailer, and put some clear headlight lenses over the chromed ones to make them look more realistic. I also blackwashed the DeSoto hubcaps and picked out a set of whitewalls for the car. I've come up with a way to make more realistic looking taillight lenses but will get into that explanation once I get them on the car. I also want to trim the side windows from the one piece interior glass piece so it will be easier to see inside the car.

Additional updates and pictures to come as the work progresses. Thanks again to all for looking in on this build.

Yeah Johnny, I've also got a '56 Plymouth promo in the works that is painted, clearcoated and polished. I'll be starting another WIP thread on that one shortly. I'm also planning on getting a '56 Dodge kit from The Modelhaus down the road a bit, in addition to a '57 Dodge that they also make.

Hey James. Thanks very much for the kind words. I've got the following cars in line to build for my '56 build mission;

'56 Chevrolet DelRay - Model kit.

" " Nomad - " "

" Ford - " "

" Oldsmobile - Promo

" Plymouth - "

" Pontiac - "

" Thunderbird - Model kit

Then there are a couple that I also want to get from The Modelhaus --- Buick, Cadillac, Dodge, Lincoln, Mercury, Nash Metropolitan

Like my '58 build mission, you can see that I've got a lot of work ahead of me for the '56 mission. Then of course there are the other years from the 1950's that I haven't gotten to yet. I know that it's an ambitious project, and I'm hoping to be able to stick with it and get them all done. I'll also have to get some more display cabinets because I've just about run out of room for all my finished builds.

Edited by Ramfins59