Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why is my model car bubbling after putting t in dehydrator?

So I freshly paint a model car with any spray can and put in the dehydrator rigth away, what was once a smooth paint job gets bubbly all over, what happened? Should I wait a while before putting it in the dehydrator? Or is it even the dehydrators fault at all? I know some of you guys reccomend putting it in dehydrator right awy , I'm just confused .

Should have been good at that temperature, can't see what else could do this. Personally, I wait 24 hours before putting my bodies in the dehydrator after painting them but again, that's just me....

Sounds like the coats of paint are too thick to me, too. Even with spray cans, dust coats are almost dry by the time I walk back to the dehydrator. You should be hitting it with 4 light coats and then 3 or so wet coats. I usually put at least eight coats of paint on a kit. I do it with an airbrush using the contents of a spray can of Tamiya obtained through a suicide technique called decanting and never use the whole can in the process.

By the way, I spend an easy week painting a car.

Dale

EDIT: I noticed the OP is in Milwaukee and the humidity there has been in the upper 80% range with rain and t-storms. That will slow a paint job down.

Edited by ScaleDale

Wow! I've NEVER heard of something like that happenin from usein Dehydrator! Maybe the guys are right about the gassin out thing. I just do mist coats till it's nearly covered, than go back and give it some slightly heavier color coats till it's where I want it. i put it in the dehydrator between coats, and I've never had a problem like that.

i dont know i think im putting off building until humidity is low once again, im impatient. It was duplicolor paint gloss black. this sucks i always get the building bug and cant help my hands !!!!

Edited by ERIK88

Most likely you sprayed too much paint at once, which didn't allow the propellant to properly gas out, which causes paint to bubble.

sounds alot like solvent pop, if it was all over and not isolated to certain spots that rules out fish eyes. OP is it possible for you to post a picture to see what happened to try to diagnose further?

It sounds as though you may have painted the body shell in rather humid conditions. Humidity in the surrounding air, especially in the summer, if high enough, can cause enamel paints to "skin over" very quickly, which does not allow the trapped propellant in the paint to "gas out", so the propellant tends to collect in larger, and larger bubbles which get trapped under the too rapidly drying "skin" on the surface.

Rattle can propellants, whether the old and no-longer-permitted-to-be-used Freon or propane (and similar gasses) which are used today, actually get dissolved into the paint under the high pressure inside the spray can. Release that pressure, even from spraying, and the propellant bubbles out of the paint in the same manner as CO2 bubbles up into a head of foam on a freshly poured soda or glass of your favorite beer. Ordinarily those tiny bubbles of propellant come to the surface of the still liquid paint on your model and pop--in short, they go away. But, in very humid conditions, the slightest of drying on the surface of the paint can (and often does) trap those bubbles. Your dehydrator likely didn't cause the problem on it's own, but it could well have exacerbated things.

This problem of little bubbles in spray enamel has been around since the very first rattle cans--some of us have been using rattle can paint on our models since the first rack of Pactra Sof-Spra 'Namel showed up in a hobby shop back in the early summer of 1959. The only solution if you are using the paint straight from the spray can? Hold off spraying until you get a day when the humidity is fairly low--such as after a cold front has passed over you.

Art

broil lol yea :lol::lol: well that was very informative from many of you guys, much appreciated. Sorry for long wait for response, it was my daughter's birthday (turned 6yrs old) and it kept me quite busy.Believe it or not she seems quite interested in what I do, Im thinking about buying her a snap model kit lol. But yea its a humidity problem im experiencing, I hate Wisconsin now jk and ive never hated humidity so much until now!!!! lol dam humidity :angry::angry: I don't kno if a dehumidifier would help me with this issue.I wanna build!!! lol

Edited by ERIK88