Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Firetruck I built for brother inlaw that just passed away who was a fireman

Again, sorry for your loss and this is a great tribute. If I can make one suggestion, I'd put your next one in a glass display case to keep off the dust. This isn't a smooth surface like a car body and would be a pain to dust with all of the little nooks and crannies.

Nicely done.

Edited by gasser59

The build looks pretty good to me....Better pictures could help, but it won't improve on what you've done here....Great job....For some reason, I've always passed this one up, but I think I'll have to reconsider.....Hobby Lobby has them, so I think it's time to burn a "40% off" coupon...

And I pray everyone is doing ok in your time of loss.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Your Mack looks really nice. Sorry for your loss, and for the loss of a brother firefighter (Chittenango Volunteer FD, Sullivan Fire District #1).

Suggestions for improvement? Well, 4" hoses for the hosebed, or a hosebed cover would be good. If you decide to leave the hosebed open with no hoses, then it would be unpainted wood. The Mack 6-spoke wheels would be the body color as would the monitor (deck gun). The ax handle would be unpainted wood, and anything diamond plate would probably be natural metal colored (not painted). Check out Don Mills Models ( http://donmillsmodels.com/ ) for additional detail items.

• 1 year later...

Fill the hose bed. Try using sewing elastic for hose. Shoe laces are way to rough and out of scale. The sewing elastic comes in 2 flat sizes, 1/4" and 1/8". It also comes in 1/16" diameter round. Use it the way it is with aluminum tubing cut for couplings. Check out the tutorial I did on the Scale Firehouse site. Look for the Tutorials section. It will give you some pointers on how to fill the bed without using a lot of elastic.

A great tribute.

Bruce,

Sorry for your loss. This is a great tribute! This Mack kit is basic, but can be detailed to the moon if desired. As Charlie and Jim suggested, some great tips! Over at "The Scale Firehouse", there are many great tips as well. I believe at the top of the "Tutorials" section is a "Correcting the Kits" area that lists members suggestions for correcting the majority of fire kits on the market(past and present). - Here is a "what if" in progress. The original company was disbanded in the early 1980's.

CamdenE2.jpg

David