Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here is a deal for someone

The Nascar kits are sales proof. I've seen them sit at shows for $5 each.

The same with diecast. A fellow I know was selling his father's 1/18 collection. Over 1000 pieces, all still in their boxes. He was looking for like $5 a car, which must be a fraction of what his father paid. At first I thought there may be an opportunity, but once I hit eBay and saw the same ones just sitting there at $10, it was evident that this ship has sailed.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I think its more than they are worth. There is a few good kits, but way more duds.

My observation, too. "Easily double your money" he says. What I see there you can easily put on ebay at $10 a pop and "easily watch them languish!" :)

Yeah i have to agree, I had bought from my local model club 10 sealed nascar kits for 2.00 each i could not sell them for 5.00 each after a year trying i gave them away to a youth group so they could start building model cars. I know there are big fans in nascar but not the model building end of it. Id say he would be better off taking offers. I would take the regular cars and show cars out of the stash for what you can get for them then take offers for the nascar.

Edited by Darren B

Most post-1980 NASCAR stuff doesn't sell. Nobody cares who won what race in 1993, they only care about who won last week. Even if you are in the small group that wants to catch up on some of the "forgotten" stuff, you can pick up individual kits for as little as $2 each. A while back, I decided I should pick up a couple of the early Monogram kits. I found one of the Mountain Dew Buick Regals (one of the first group of cars issued), sealed, for $3. I know where I can get one of the Thunderbirds, but it's priced over $10. I know I can find one of those kits in single digits.

The AMT NASCAR kits, being 1/25 scale, have a lot of decent parts in them if you aren't into NASCAR. The Fords (both the cars and trucks) have Cleveland engines that, while not 100% accurate for some other applications, have a bunch more detail than any of the ones in earlier kits.

Most post-1980 NASCAR stuff doesn't sell. Nobody cares who won what race in 1993, they only care about who won last week. Even if you are in the small group that wants to catch up on some of the "forgotten" stuff, you can pick up individual kits for as little as $2 each. A while back, I decided I should pick up a couple of the early Monogram kits. I found one of the Mountain Dew Buick Regals (one of the first group of cars issued), sealed, for $3. I know where I can get one of the Thunderbirds, but it's priced over $10. I know I can find one of those kits in single digits.

The AMT NASCAR kits, being 1/25 scale, have a lot of decent parts in them if you aren't into NASCAR. The Fords (both the cars and trucks) have Cleveland engines that, while not 100% accurate for some other applications, have a bunch more detail than any of the ones in earlier kits.

That is kind of true, there is the small part of the NASCAR group of builders that are building older NASCAR stuff, but those guys that are building them already have a stash of kits, so they are not out buying them

But in reality , all the current NASCAR decals that are being made, 95% of them are for stuff that is from the 90's, early 200's and mid 80's, so there is a need for at least the decals, as for the kits, not really at this point

I would give 200 for the lot to have the 2 good kits and decals and cut the rest of the junk up for the plastic lol - or wait I seen 2 Dale E kits I think I could con someone into trading me a gasser kit for them LOL - really just playing its not for me but those into NASCAR its a pretty good deal at lest for the parts?? I think??

My observation, too. "Easily double your money" he says. What I see there you can easily put on ebay at $10 a pop and "easily watch them languish!" :)

In the NJ / NY / PA area swap meets the kits other than Nascar would sell at $10 each, or would fly off the table at $5 each. The Nascars are sales proof. A few years ago a dealer gave us a bunch of them to give away as door prizes at NNL East. At the end of the day, that's all that was left. We couldn't even give them away.

Wow, didn't realize NASCAR kits were that awful. More for me I guess.

It's not that they're awful it's just that most of the kits are the same with a different box and decals. There were so many of them produced that it's very easy to find them very cheap. I was buying up the AMT Stock car kits to replace the chassis in the MPC/Model King reissues. I was buying the whole AMT kit for 2.00!

It's not that they're awful it's just that most of the kits are the same with a different box and decals.

that was a running joke way back that Nascar guys didn't realize they were building the same kit over and over! :D

I do know a guy who had one chassis and spent his time painting and decaling bodies which he'd place on that one chassis for display and pictures.