Model Cars Magazine Forum

Showboat Redux / Quarter Master...Update 11/23/13

If "redux" means, "To bring back - postpositively", then that's what I'm going for here. I always wondered how this baby would look with 4 blown Hemi's. I guess we'll find out.

Strap in kiddies. It's going to be a long and bumpy ride. But with lots and lots of smoke.

What I initially plan is calling it the "SHOWBIRD" with a graphic of the Roadrunner wearing a top hat and carrying a cane tucked under his stubby little wing. That could change because I have alternate names available as well.

001.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Thanks for all of the positive reinforcement everybody.

Lots to cover in the first progress report. First up, the body, and therefore the theme, have changed. On the Petty Superbird box art cover, the roof is a hardtop. However, the side panels show the landau version. Hoping that was an option, when I opened the box and whipped out the body I discovered the landau top is molded in. Not the look I was going for. Now I'll be using a 67 Charger and adding the nose and wing to that. So that puts the "Showbird" theme out the window. Guess I'll be coming up with something "Charger" related.

On a lighter note, I'm a fan of The Big Bang Theory and World of Warcraft. At the beginning of an episode of TBBT, the boys are playing Warcraft. As they open the gates to an epic encounter, Raj exclaims, "OH MY GOD!!!! So many Goblins!!!" As I was cutting pieces off of their trees, I kept running that scene through my mind, only thinking, "OH MY GOD!!! So many pieces!!!" I figure at the rate I work, it will take me a week to do parts clean up before the mock up process begins.

Stay tuned. It's going to be a massacre!!!!!

003.jpg002.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Got a verbal update. Yes...that means no pix. :)

Parts clean up has started and it took me an Emerson, Lake & Palmer concert and 1/2 of a Genesis concert to get all of the engine parts flash free.

Also took some frame and wheelbase measurements and I'm sorry to announce that this build is impossible. Oh well, I tried. No, wait a second. I've got it!!!!! Since the Chi-Town Hustler is left side seating, I'll use the back half of that frame and mate it up to the Showboat engine mount rails using a bulkhead. All I have to do is move the driver's compartment forward, then mount fuel and oil tanks behind that. This might take a few minutes. I'll get back to y'all laterz.

Well, when I said it would take me about a week to do parts prep, I didn't take modifications into consideration.

Originally I wanted to use the kit blocks for ease of installation. Not going to happen, so I had to cut off the rear block housings and modified the timing covers to accept the blower belt idler pulley. As you can see, I also drilled out the valve covers. The holes are large to accept spark plug wire boots. I found a very nice heat shrink tubing assortment at Radio Shack that will work great.

I'll need to do paint prior to assembly of the engines. Normally I would do a white glue mock up, but I feel pretty good about how everything is going. Probably going to do the headers next to see if I need to stagger the engines. All is well so far. Everybody keep your fingers crossed.

004.jpg005.jpg

Hi Folks. Thanks for the nice comments. These last few days have seen excellent progress in getting the engines modified and I've also made some new motor mounts that will fit better in the Chi-Town Hustler frame. I'll have some pics tomorrow. Funny thing is, the more I modify things, the fewer pieces I'm using from the Showboat. Basically, it'll be just the clutch cans, engine mating gears and axles. Not to mention the inspiration the car itself provides.

Also tomorrow, I'll get the nose cut off of the Charger so I can see where the engines will mount and how long the frame will need to be stretched. I hope the object of this is to have fun, 'cuz this is a hoot!!!!!! So far, 6 kits have donated parts to this little monstrosity.

Finally, I think I have a name for it. "OVER BLOWN" Yes? No? Maybe?

.....and here are the promised pics.

The first shows how the engines will mate up, the second showing the engine mount / brackets (upside down), and the third is the first glimpse of the total concept minus tires, nose and wing.

I need a header solution. I might have to go with the kit headers. I tried to get some made for me by TDR, but it would take too long with their current work load.

007.jpg006.jpg008.jpg

I made major progress within the last few days. The frame is stretched out, maybe a little too long, but nothing is glued together yet. All fender wells were radiused and the nose has been assembled.

Next I'll be working on the body hinge and final interior placement. The engines will be painted and mated so that I can determine where the motor mount brackets will go. Best of all, no frustrations yet. Only a minor conundrum as to how I'll get the "nose heavy" front fenders mounted.

Enjoy.

009.jpg0010.jpg0011.jpg0012.jpg

It doesn't look like more progress, but it really really is. I wanted to get the engine pairs painted and assembled, but windy weather is interfering and it looks like rain tomorrow. By shear coincidence, the rain that's on it's way is from a storm named "Ivo". I'll take that as a good sign.

Anyway, I can't get the engine blocks positioned until the back half is done. I've made splash panels for the cockpit and nearly finished with the body tinwork. Also made an inner window template so that I can flush mount the front windshield.

A recent thread in the General section asked if we have a plan in place before starting a project. The question should be, are we aware that models have a life of their own and are we conscience of the fact that the model has a plan of it's own as it manipulates us?

0013.jpg0014.jpg0015.jpg0016.jpg0017.jpg