Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Charger Daytona

dougp

This is my second wip and it's finally completed. See the wip here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65287&st=0&p=798334.

This was my first for many new ideas, techniques and methods. I replaced the oem suspension with a coil over suspension with rack and pinion steering. The kit engine/transmission/exhaust was modified with updated components and scratch built headers. The brake/fuel lines were detailed and subframe connectors added. The interior was left basically stock with the bench seat being replace with buckets and the gauges updated with home made decals. Body trim was completed with bmf aluminum and the panel lines washed with a dark red and the wing was shortened . The paint was wet sanded, polished and waxed (pictures don't do it justice). The build was a challenge and turned out better than I expected.

DSCN2061_zpsa0b347da.jpg

DSCN2050_zpsa17cfe1b.jpg

DSCN2053_zpse719a324.jpg

DSCN2059_zps3ffd7000.jpg

DSCN2065_zpsab9fc887.jpg

DSCN2067_zps635c887c.jpg

Thanks for looking and enjoy...

Thanks for the comments everyone. For those asking about the wheels they are Pegasus Hellas 19" front with 23" in the rear. I hand painted the centers using decanted Tamiya gun metal, the color used for the stripe, wing and lip spoiler. It took several coats to cover the chrome and get the color right.

That's pretty slick. Nice work. B)

Personally, I would have foiled the door handles... but that's just me.

Yes, Harry I tried the door handles and the wheel well lip trim, but it just didn't look right. I was trying to give it a contemporary look while retaining the classic feel to the theme. I wasn't going to do the window trim either, but I needed to break up the line just a bit because it has such a long look to it.

That looks awsome great job. Reminded me of these guys http://www.71wingcars.com/page.aspx?id=1

You got it IHSS, the site was a major inspiration for my theme, especially model year and the coil over suspension.

To me, visually, there is an excellent visual-relationship between the curved-shape of the nose and the curve of the side-window opening, (especially at its rear). This is an excellent model and very well done. I think the nose actually "feels" better on this '71 body style then it did on the 1970. Your model shows "...what could have been" very, very well!