Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got to reading the other tractor thread, and wondered what farm tractor models have been manufactured.

When I was a kid, we had a locally owned discounter in town. They had an Ertl IH 1466 kit on the shelf, and I wanted that kit bad!

But, the kit came with a whopping $7 price tag, which might as well have been $70 or $700. I was pretty young at the time. I never had $7 all at one time, and my parents said that they wouldn't let me buy it even if I did. I can't say that I blame them a bit...my dad probably wasn't making nearly that much an hour.

So, Ertl made a line of tractors. The IH 1466, a Massey, a re-boxed Massey as a pull version, and a Deere 4430. Right?

What other tractor models have been produced in kit form?

What else was in the Ertl line?

Etrl re-issued the Deere 4430. Have any others been re-issued?

Lastly, If I ever scored one of the IH 1466 at a reasonable price, would it be a crime to build it, or should it be left as an unbuilt kit?

Ertl at one time had a line of diecast combines that were 1/25th scale. some of them had injection molded bodies and diecast frames. These could be detailed quite nicely. The one I have is a Massy- Ferguson 8780. It plays nicely with the Ertl plastic kit tractors.

DSCN1776.jpg

If you ever latch onto an Ertl tractor kit by all means build it. It took me a long time to get all three models but they look much better on the shelf than in the box.

There may be other plastic/diecast 1/25th scale tractors around but I don't believe anyone other than Erlt made kits in this scale.

Carl

I have this Die Cast also! This is the only other one I've seen! Yes, by all means, If you do find one BUILD IT! That is what it was created for,after all. I'm fortunate enough to have the Green John Deere, the Red International, the farm wagon and the multi disced cultivator. They do look nice with the Combine. I REALLY think this dio is TOO cool too!

I have a kit from the late 70's / early 80's from Protar. It is a P.G.S. articulated farm tractor in 1/9 scale....The kit is very detailed; and represents a smaller "garden" or orchard size tractor. It is 4WD, with 3cyl diesel engine, and 3pt hitch. Very nice and hard to find old kit.............Matt

• 7 months later...