Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got another one to identify

Hey all,

Well I got another one that I need help with. Not sure what it is, or who made it, but this car is as basic as it gets....The only thing I could find was 1963 stamped on the rear underside.

It looks like a Stutz, but I also thought it looks like a Mercier Runabout I've seen in Lindberg boxes on eBay...No detail whatsoever....

Definately not in the same league as Harry's Mercier

Mercier_zpsaadc7720.jpg

Edited by imatt88

Judging by the seats and the fact that it's a curbside, I'd say it's the Aurora 1/16 1911 Mercer Raceabout. My Aurora Stutz is molded in red and has a similar lack of detail. You can often find the highly detailed 1/16 Fuman Bandai Mercer kit (same as the Entex kit that Harry built) on eBay for around $15. Chinese instructions.

Here's what a built Aurora Mercer kit looks like:

http://www.modelersite.net/viewShowRoom.php?id_contenido=1861

Edited by sjordan2

Aurora, huh? Well, that explains lack of detail ;)

Anything out there to spruce this dinosaur up without about 100 hours of scratchbuilding? :P

If the subject mater interests you, I say throw that sorry excuse for a kit in the trash and get the Bandai/Entex version (the one I built).

If the subject mater interests you, I say throw that sorry excuse for a kit in the trash and get the Bandai/Entex version (the one I built).

Ditto. I can send you English instructions for the Fuman Bandai, though Harry may have a better set. The Entex version is much more expensive, probably because of its beautiful box art, which is copied from a 2-page photo in the book, "The Great Cars," by Ralph Stein. This old book should be owned by anyone who's into classic cars..

Edited by sjordan2

Skip or Harry,

I actually have one of the Bandai kits. It's a really nice kit, and I will gladly take a copy of the english instructions for either one of you :D

Thanks, Cheers, Ian

Skip or Harry,

I actually have one of the Bandai kits. It's a really nice kit, and I will gladly take a copy of the english instructions for either one of you :D

Thanks, Cheers, Ian

It will be a lot easier for me to print out photocopies instead of scanning 11 pages. PM me with your mailing address.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...