Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Chevy Advance Scout Truck - African Airstream Caravan

On Saturday, the chassis was completed and got a shot of primer and then semi gloss black paint. Felt I was really making some progress however the paint dried all bumpy. I thought and thought about it and just couldn't leave it that way so yesterday, off it went into the purple pond. A minor set back. Guess I'll move on to the interior until I can get back to the chassis.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spent some time working on getting the hood to fit properly and then a first coat of primer on the cab and hood. Also started working on the U-joints for the steering. At work right now so I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Safe a safe new years everyone.

Edited by gasser59

Man, not much to show but it seems I was working on this for hours both yesterday and today just to get this one side to this point. I'm stoked about how it came out. Now onto the driver's side.

The U joint works quite smoothly with the wheel turning and steering.

PassUjoint_zps04da3418.jpg

Thanks for your interest and comments appreciated.

Thanks so much Dave. I should have the other side done either tonight or tomorrow. Then I can paint and continue on with the body. Still waiting on sourcing the correct or at least similar all-terrain tires.

Edited by gasser59

A bunch of concentrated bench time in this weekend and its finally sitting on all fours although still looking for the right tires. Got the steering with the functioning U-joints painted, installed and buttoned up. I had to make new turnbuckles with RB rod ends and Scale Hardware nuts and bolts. Its still a bit stiff but it will loosen up over time. Still need to go in with a black wash over the aluminum U-joints to darken them up a bit. I had a tough time getting any decent pictures of it so here's the best of what I got.

Here it is sitting on all fours.

OnAllFours_zps52e8a5c4.jpg

Close-up of driver's side.

FrontEnd1_zps55f22de1.jpg

A shot of whole axle with the wheels turned.

FrontEnd3_zpsd3901206.jpg

Another shot of the whole axle. I couldn't decide which one I liked better.

FrontEnd2_zpsdf366aa0.jpg

That's it for tonight. I hope to get back to work on the cab body this week. I filled in the larger back window opening with the actual kit glass and cut the smaller window size into it. Still a bit of filler and sanding to do.

Thanks for your interest and comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59
  • Like 1

Looking really good. Your builds are always great to see, the detail you put on these is incredible. That engine is a piece of art and chassis looks good too.

Can you post a picture of the grille and front bumber that came in Modelhaus kit? I need one of those bodies, too, since I would like to build something like this Chevy Truck here in Finland. It has a Blown 1,000 HP 572 BBC under to hood and it weights about 4,000 kilograms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ztmrmtwkQ

Edited by W-409

Danno - thanks for following along. Always something different.

Jose - thank you.

Niko - your comments are always great to hear. Really appreciated.

I took a couple of pictures this morning and captured a few from the link you provided. What a beast that '59 is. Not really sure what's going on with the bed of the truck or the rear end set up but really cool. I can see why you'd want to build it.

From the video clip.

Finnish59-1_zps73ac648e.jpg

Another.

Finnish59-2_zpsb7bf00ea.jpg

Modelhaus '59 Chevy front end with grill.

WithGrill_zps91f46ee0.jpg

And without grill.

NoGrill_zps7e2b4f02.jpg

This resin body is a perfect match for what you want to do. It comes with the chrome hood emblem, dual headlight bezels, grill insert (which you won't need), chrome blinker inserts, hubcaps (others you won't need) and clear headlight lenses. The chrome fender emblems on the body are molded into the resin body which could quite easlily be BMF'd. They look really good. The rear window from the '55 to '57 AMT truck kit fits just fine. I haven't tried the front windshield. The interior tub fits well too.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks for the pics, Brad! That's just what I need to build that Truck. B)

My build won't be a 100% accurate replica, since there is only one picture of the engine (And that's before installing a Blower) and none of the chassis but I'm trying to get it close.

Anyway, this build is looking really good, can't wait to see more updates on it. B)