Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Chevy Advance Scout Truck - African Airstream Caravan

• 1 year later...

Wow...I can't believe its been a year since the last post on this thread. With Desert Scale Classic coming up, I really need to get something completed. I've decided this one of all of the incomplete builds I have in progress will get my time and attention.

I've contact a friend to source some clean printing plate for the shell and while I'm waiting on that, I'll get the cab painted. I'm still unsure about the tires. I've not found the exact ones but have the MasterCaster making me some that I hope will be the best form the three different styles I have so far.

So its time to dust this one off and get back to work. Your patience has been appreciated because I've been a slacker.

Wow...I can't believe its been a year since the last post on this thread. With Desert Scale Classic coming up, I really need to get something completed. I've decided this one of all of the incomplete builds I have in progress will get my time and attention.

I've contact a friend to source some clean printing plate for the shell and while I'm waiting on that, I'll get the cab painted. I'm still unsure about the tires. I've not found the exact ones but have the MasterCaster making me some that I hope will be the best form the three different styles I have so far.

So its time to dust this one off and get back to work. Your patience has been appreciated because I've been a slacker.

I'm happy you are on this again. I want to see your progres!

A bit of bench time in over the weekend and concentrated my time on getting the truck to sit on all fours. I went through most of my kit boxes to source some steelies and was finally able to find some. The tires I'm showing here aren't necessarily the ones I'll be using but they're the best I have so far. Steelies got painted and I need to trim down the full hubcaps to the dog dish style and thin them down so they'll look right.

Here's a few pictures.

WheelsProfile_zpswhlx2ewp.jpg

Wheel_zpsgk2fjyis.jpg

HubCaps_zpsxkramptk.jpg

I've got my request in for some larger printing plate for the camper portion so I'll be working on the framework for it. Glad to be back to work on this.

Comments welcome.

Joe - it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. LOL

The aluminum square channel was bent to a flat rendering shape and I just took my time bending them a bit at a time. The tubing doesn't have anything inside except for the bottom where the round tubing was inserted where it met the floor. Unfortunately, I've decided to go a different direction on the construction of the framework and I will not be having the top lift off. I hope to get to this soon.

Thanks for your interest.

I couldn't for the life of me find the parts that came with the resin cab for this truck. I was missing the grill, headlight surrounds, hubcaps, chrome hood emblem, turn signal surrounds and the clear lenses. I have been looking for the small baggie for days. Tore my hobby room apart and searched everywhere. I was really beginning to think I must have thrown it out somehow. Well, I finally found it and now I don't need to shave down the '55 kit hubcaps and I don't need to order through Modelhaus the replacements. Whew. Crisis averted.

Spent a little bit of bench time last night and started on the roof rack. Simple construction with printing plate brackets and basswood cross beams painted flat silver. The supports were attached with small brass brads from the dollhouse store. Next will be the flat base material and I'm thinking I need to go to the LHS for a thicker piece of aluminum sheet.

Here's a couple of pictures.

RoofRack2_zps1xdu816w.jpg

RoofRack1_zpsp3yichby.jpg

Thanks for your interest and comments welcome.

Me too Joe. Still haven't completely ruled it out. Just trying to figure out how to attach the inner skins to the aluminum square ribs. Making the cabinetry isn't a problem although it will be tight in there. I'm working through the whole assembly and construction processes out in my head.

OK Joe, you convinced me to do the interior and have the roof lift off. This will be my third consecutive build with a bed in it. I guess it the 'Sleeping Series.'

A bit of time at the bench and I really thought I was making some great progress but looking at the picture I took this morning, it doesn't really look like it. Those ribs take more time to make than I thought.

Here's the pic.

Ribs1_zpsq1xon6cn.jpg

Stay tuned.

A bit of time on the other night and got the ribs on for the other side. I also drew out on the floor the lines where the cabinetry will go. Man its going to be tight fitting everything in from the end before the last rib goes on.

Ribs2_zpsh6w9bhj6.jpg

I'm still waiting to pick up my printing plate for the exterior. Its on the other side of town and I have to get there during working hours and that's when I'm working. I think my DW will get it tomorrow.

Comments welcome.

No...not epoxy, its Zap-A-Gap. Each square tubing has a round piece of tubing in it and then piano wire pins inside the round tubing. The piano wire runs through the horizontal ribs and run the full length from front to back keeping everything straight.

Thanks for your interest but please don't wear a bare strip on the floor. :D

Edited by gasser59